Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Woud I really benefit from an AA meeting? Would I be welcomed?

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know that AA meetings are built on Christian views...steps include giving your life over to God, etc... But I'm not a Christian. I really want to go, but I don't want to have to deal with the God talk. I feel that if I'm in a room full of Christians, trying to help me stop drinking, that I will constantly be pressured by their beliefs...
Should I still go? I'd love to talk to other people about my problem, but I'm just nervous about having to denounce the God thing in front of everyone.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are there any other type of free, public, recovery meetings, that aren't structured on religion?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

People will not care if you do not believe in the tooth fairy who we all know is an absolute certainty.

Although the founders were Christian your faith or lack of it is not important. I know Buddist's, Jews, Agnostics, and some that fit into no category. One thing I can not state strongly enough is that it has nothing to do with religon.

I would highly encourage you to check out multiple meetings before you make any decisions on AA one way or another.

It worked for me when all else failed,
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am fairly new to AA meetings but I haven't felt "pressured" at all into believing anything I didn't. Is there "God" talk in the meetings I have attended? Yes. But there have also been a few people who have shared about their difficulty coming up with their own version of a higher power/god. No one seemed to mind. For what it's worth right now I am trying to come up with my own brand of spirituality.

I really am taking what I need and leaving the rest. I have felt very comforted knowing I am sitting in a room full of people who also have also struggled with an alcohol addiction. Do I believe exactly what they believe about "god"? Probably not, and that is ok.

I am someone who for years thought AA was not for them. I was wrong. It is for anyone who wants it, as long as they have a desire to stop drinking. It helps to have a very open mind and realize that no matter where you are, you are going to come in contact with people who believe different things than you do. And that is ok.

AA can be as much or as little as you need. But I would at least try a few meetings and see what happens.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes I think you should give it a try! If it's not for you at least you found out for your self.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've only been attending AA for two months now, but I can tell you that, at least at my regular meetings, there is no God-pushing. That said, my main meeting is a Big Book Study meeting except for one speaker-night a month. I haven't gone to any 12-Step meetings, so can't speak from that angle.

Every now and then at my meeting, someone will thank God or their "higher power" (etc.), but it's never thrust upon the group, and I think everyone accepts that we all have our own beliefs anyway. We mostly just discuss stories in the Big Book and how we can relate. I like that. It is good to see where people have been in their alcoholism, how they fought it (sometimes many times over), and where they're at today.

At the beginning of my meeting, we do recite the Serenity Prayer ("God grant me...") and at the end of my meeting we hold hands in a circle and recite the "Our Father" .. but only for anyone who wants to recite it ... you can simply stand there and be part of the Group.

I'm not into "religions" (and not sure what belief may be the correct one out there, or if there even is a correct one), but I'm spiritual in my own way. I personally don't mind the prayers.... I could do without them, mind you, but I like the coming-together of the group that it seems to bring.

How about sampling a few different meetings, with an open mind? ... or going a few times to the same one for a few weeks? ... And give it a chance. You never know till you go! Worst case: you'll decide you hate it, and you don't have to go back .. (but I don't think that'll be the case).

As for free, public help - where I am (Canada), we have an Addiction Prevention & Treatment program that is no cost (paid by health system). I am currently seeing a counsellor from that program, and it's been good to talk. Maybe there is something similar where you are, either to talk to or they may know of other group-type options out there.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea, AA has it's roots in the Oxford Group... an unabashedly christian organization. It didn't last... The founders of AA tried to be inclusive of all understandings of spirituality... how well they succeeded is still open to debate and personal experience.

Depends on the meeting, I think... My home group has a christian "flavor" for lack of a better word... but we are all from a similar background and the whole God thing isn't too threatening to us... though we do have a fair number of agnostics who are active and charismatic members of our home group... All of us would welcome you with open arms.

Some meetings are much less "God" centered.

I think that reconciling the idea that AA is a spiritual program of recovery, and either accepting or rejecting that notion... will get you to where you want to be... sober, I hope!

Yes, you will be welcomed, unconditionally.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yes...YES

You will be welcomed.

AA has helped me tremendously. AA isn't for everyone, but it is well worth a try. From what I've seen SR agrees with this position.

Go to a few different meetings, try it out, you might find one you really like. get a "Big Book"- it is a great read whether you remain with the program or not. There is a chapter called "We Agnostics" which may clear things up for you regarding AA.

AA leaves a lot of spirituality matters open for each person to decide and interpret themselves. And nobody will push anything on you. Just go in with an open mind and willingness to stop drinking.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never been to an AA meeting but my father used to go for a few years and he is not religious at all so I wouldn't worry about it. He used to enjoy the meetings, alot of coffee, cigarettes and support. He stopped going to AA after my parents moved to another state and he is still totally sober.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is a God AS YOU UNDERSTAND HIM. Referred to often as a Power greater than yourself...It can be the power of the group, a power of the stars, the skies, the sun--whatever you choose it to be. My sponsor is 21 years sober. He was agnostic when he first came into AA, as was his first sponsor. Many newcomers who come into AA are emotionally, spiritually bankrupt from where alcohol took them and often, a God (as they understand him) is the furthest thing from their mind. No one pushes God on you in AA. Yes, many conversations may seem spiritually based as each person is different in their beliefs. Try the meetings, they keep me sober.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to my first NA meeting last night and I thought it was awesome. I like you also thought the whole God part would make me feel left out but they did not mention it at all. My advice is to go to a meeting with an open mind and see what you think. At the end of the day only good can come out of it..if you go and you don't enjoy it then don't go back no harm no foul. Give it a try with a complete open mind, I was just like you until last night. Every member welcomed me with a hug and although that may sound odd I thought it was very comforting. Best of luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Because AA membership is a cross section of the society in whichever country you find yourself in, the Christian/Muslim/Bhuddist/Jewish/non-believer ratio in the meetings is the same as you could expect to find among the adults at the nearest public gathering hall.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

You think you know but You dont know what you dont know

I think the planet saturn is pretty with its moons. But I have never been there on it, it could really be ugly there.

A Higher Power is what they will ask you to find. And that could be anything in the world. I truly believe everyone has a higher power just simply right in there heart, that is to each is own. Just like our fingerprints..

Give it shot, because what do you have to lose to another shot of booze.?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please come. Check out our text book, it can be googled for a free online version. It has a chapter with your name all over it titled "We Agnostics" Had my name all over it too. One of my amends was to a group that I used to attend intoxicated and give lectures on atheism to.

Eventually I found the Great Reality deep within, much like the chapter indicated I would. ;-)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by wrldhealer View Post
I really want to go, but I don't want to have to deal with the God talk. I feel that if I'm in a room full of Christians, trying to help me stop drinking, that I will constantly be pressured by their beliefs... .

Your beliefs are valid regardless of what they are. Others should respect them. By the same token you should respect their beliefs when they differ with yours. People who are trying to convert others to their particular view of God are rare in AA. Some people have G(roup) O(f) D(runks) as their "higher power" and I have yet to hear anyone have a problem with that.

Originally Posted by wrldhealer View Post
Should I still go? I'd love to talk to other people about my problem, but I'm just nervous about having to denounce the God thing in front of everyone.

You will not even need to speak if you do not wish to. Go.... listen and see for yourself. Don’t base your decision on fear.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Read about Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, Life Ring or Women for Sobriety. They don't use the 12 steps or discuss any god.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are there any other type of free, public, recovery meetings, that aren't structured on religion?
Like Sugarbear says there are alternatives

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The main thing tho - AA or no AA - is to do something.
if you think you need more, then go out and look at all your options

Invest in yourself and your (sober) future

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know what I don't know...And I admit it. But I do know if I hadn't tried AA...With an open mind....As was mentioned.....I probably wouldn't be here. So yeah....I would give it a shot. You can't beat the price.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA, but I know for a fact they welcome people of all and no belief.

What's important is you take action and get yourself the supports needed to get and stay sober.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you should consider going to any sort of group fitness.
a lot of gyms have free trial classes and they are public and help with recovery. big time.