Notices

Good morning! Its a new day....

Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good morning! Its a new day....

Although I did not abstain completely on day two, I did actually stick to 2 glasses of wine and went to bed. A modest effort, but an effort none the less I suppose.
I am off tonight, which again will pose a challenge to stay dry. After that I work Thurs, Fri, and Sat night so those are always my clean days/nights. You know I was just thinking about my work schedule and realized something that I had not really put thought into before. When I know I have to work, I feel better that day knowing I won't drink and actually look forward to going to work....why can I not seem to apply that same feeling during the day into my days off?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi SAD3, I go through something similar with my weekends when I know I don't have to be at work I've allowed myself to drink. Not this weekend though as I'm committed to staying sober. I've found reading and posting on here helpful.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand you as I go through the same thing. I am a shift worker and when I work I know I can stay dry. I think I get bored on my days off and needed it to get through the boredom and loneliness.

This is Day 6 for me, and today i'm going to hot yoga to sweat and feel better.

I also think of the $$ I spent on wine etc and will be using that cash for things that make me feel better in the long run. Unlike booze which is a short lived effect, but the after effects are so much worse.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gotta fill that empty time off with something to keep the brain occupied, might be a good idea to learn how to play guitar or piano on the weekends. That's part of my plan, to finally sit down and learn how to play the keyboard. Won't have any time to even think about drinking.

"An idle mind is the Devil’s playground." (Or something like that.)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well its 7:30pm and still staying dry!....whew...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

White knuckling through sobriety is really, really tough.

I highly recommend you look into getting some solid supports to help you deal with this!

Congratulations on your success!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep at it SAD. Good on you for only drinking two glasses. I find that moderation is actually more difficult than just quitting for good. I don't have to think about how many I can have, am I sober enough to drive, all that kind of stuff. And if I don't drink I always stay sober!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Staying busy is far from my problem....I am probably more busy than I should be for someone trying to get sober. My problem (or problems) are more centered around the hours I can actually slow down, which is no earlier than 10p and can start as late as 11p.....then, because my days work is behind me, I can hide behind my computer and shop, do school work, and DRINK! And get up at 7am (doesn't matter if I went to bed at 1am or 4am) and start all over......kids up and dressed for school, lunches made, homework tucked in bags, grocery shopping, cleaning, bits of my own homework that I can fit in between taking care of the littlest one, park, exercise....and then on a good night, I go to work as an oncology nurse and come home at 8am the next morning. On a bad night (which is 4 days a week) I am home and able to have my very coveted private time to drink and escape from around 11p to 3a on average....up at 7a...you get the cycle, not very health friendly, even with my exercise in the mix.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

unfortunately drinking is a really bad "escape" and although it will work as a method to unwind for a while, it is too easy to fall into the trap.

alcohol is everywhere, so why not use it to relax and unwind?
few people talk about the damage it does to your GABA receptors (in addition to many other health problems)... to me it's far worse than potential of liver damage. not that you really need yet another reason to abstain.
there are other substances (legal and illegal), which can be used to unwind... but most people would hardly entertain the idea of using them.

is alcohol really that different? it's very addictive and very damaging. it causes death on daily basis.
moderating something like that is walking a pretty thin line, imo.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BalinChane View Post
Gotta fill that empty time off with something to keep the brain occupied, might be a good idea to learn how to play guitar or piano on the weekends. That's part of my plan, to finally sit down and learn how to play the keyboard. Won't have any time to even think about drinking.

"An idle mind is the Devil’s playground." (Or something like that.)
I have been thinking about learning to play the keyboard or taking some sort if art class. Santa is bringing my oldest a keyboard, maybe we can both take lessons!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know it's hard for "down time"... for myself instead of having the urge to drink- I just come on here!

It is hard to fill the void - tonight I wrapped presents and had a bowl of cereal... little more of a healthy choice.

Originally Posted by SAD3 View Post
Staying busy is far from my problem....I am probably more busy than I should be for someone trying to get sober. My problem (or problems) are more centered around the hours I can actually slow down, which is no earlier than 10p and can start as late as 11p.....then, because my days work is behind me, I can hide behind my computer and shop, do school work, and DRINK! And get up at 7am (doesn't matter if I went to bed at 1am or 4am) and start all over......kids up and dressed for school, lunches made, homework tucked in bags, grocery shopping, cleaning, bits of my own homework that I can fit in between taking care of the littlest one, park, exercise....and then on a good night, I go to work as an oncology nurse and come home at 8am the next morning. On a bad night (which is 4 days a week) I am home and able to have my very coveted private time to drink and escape from around 11p to 3a on average....up at 7a...you get the cycle, not very health friendly, even with my exercise in the mix.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to be afraid of free time too, but it does get easier as you are feeling well. You find a better way to think about rewards as you wind down for the day.