Notices

New to this please read..

Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this please read..

So I'm new to all of this don't know how to work it...I was sitting here going crazy (but sober) and I got these crazy urges to use Does anyone have suggestions to distract myself? I try music, drawing, guitar, cleaning but my attention span is so short and my mind races. I can't find a job to this new place I moved and having a hard time right now so was hoping to have conversation and make new sober friends..please?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nae

You could do worse than hang around here for a while...I spent a lot of time here in the early days...read and post as much as you like

good to have you join us

D
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Maybe try going for a walk n get a lil fresh air. There's a chat room here on SR that people are usually on. Maybe hittin a meeting if your thinking of getting into AA.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Nae and welcome!

I found that coming here and reading helped me the most when I had strong cravings. It's just easier when you know others are going through the same thing.

Just remember that cravings don't last forever. It's normal to get them from time to time, but you don't have to act on them. Sometimes eating something really helps.

I also try to look at what feelings/thoughts might have led up to them. A lot of time, I can't put my finger on anything, but sometimes I find that I'm feeling overwhelmed and wanting to drink to escape. I'll then decide to take a break. Or if I'm bored, I look for something to do, etc.....

Just know that you can get through this and we're here to support you!:ghug3
Old 12-08-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome Nae, yep this is a good place to be in early days.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dunno, coming to this forum when I am really craving sometimes makes me want a drink more. I am thinking that maybe going to a bunch of AA meetings might help. Getting phone numbers from people and calling when you feel like drinking?