Notices

Just getting started

Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just getting started

Hi. I'm here because I after being sober for 6 years I thought that I was able to drink socially. It took only one year of drinking to get back to black out drinking. Now I truly deeply know that I am an alcoholic. Now I need to quit and I know that I can't do it alone. So now I'm here....
Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Dagney!!

You have six years of sober time, that is huge. I am approaching two months, I have tried to moderate and stop man times before. The only long periods of sobriety I have are throughout my three pregnancies.

How did you stay sober during those six years? What supports do you have this time?

Looking forward to seeing you on here.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dagney! I am sorry that you have gone through this, but I am thankful that you shared your story. I hear that over and over again, and need to continue hear it so that it sticks in my mind. People come back to the "rooms" all the time saying "I was sober 25 years and took one drink, a few months later it was worse than it ever had been..." etc....Even in the little time of sobriety I have, I have that little voice in the back of my head that says "Hey, you've done this for almost 6 months. You could probably maintain now." and, really, it's just not true. There is no moderation for me. If there were, I wouldn't be in the place I am in now. I would have never needed help stopping if I could have done it on my own. I hope you stick around here. There is a lot of support, experience, and hope here.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dagney,

I'm new here, too. For what it's worth, I think just being on here is a great step!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Six years of sobriety is great! I'm glad you're here working on your recovery again.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Dagney

D
Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel better already!! Just seeing that I did not post into the abyss. I really didn't know what to expect. I hope that I can get the hang of the site and not be so fearful of sharing. Thank you!! I AM NOT ALONE!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Dagney, you'll find lots of great support around here!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Dagney - you're definitely not alone....

I blew 4 years of sobriety twice.... it took me 7 years to get back the last time. I now know beyond a doubt that opening the door to alcohol just a crack is an insane thing for me to do.

I'm glad you've joined us. I'm so glad I found this place when I did. It's such a relief to be sober again!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Dagney, you are so not alone. This forum has been the greatest for me, learning how to be sober. People have been very kind and helpful. Just seeing people's stories has been a great learning experience for me.

Your story was a lesson to me. That I really cannot have that little eensy weensy just one drink. I think a lot of us probably think in the back of our minds, that some day we will be able to handle a drink or two socially. But we just can't drink at all, can we?

I am curious, if you don't mind sharing the details; did it take you awhile to build back up to drinking a lot, or was it gradual?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Something similar happened to me, Dagney. I had 3 yrs. and thought I'd have 'a glass' of wine. I went straight back to hell, worse than ever. It took ages to get on track again. SR helped me find the courage to give it up for good.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I honestly thought I could handle drinking once in a while. With six years sober I convinced myself that I drank before because of the situation I was in and used it merely as a coping mechanism. Once I has out of that unhealthy situation and doing better and in therapy and on my own I was sure that I could now enjoy that simple glass of wine with dinner.

I started slow. Made little rules for myself, no drinking at home, well alone, well ok just wine but never the hard stuff, etc, etc. One by one my "little" rules fell.

Then came the blackouts.....

It took me one year to make it all the way back there. Four days ago I sat in my therapists office and sobbed...I'm an alcoholic, I don't want to be an alcoholic. Three days ago I found this site and yesterday I became a member.