Notices

Finally admitted I'm an alocoholic

Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally admitted I'm an alocoholic

Hello everyone,

I've been a member here for a little while, but this is my first post. Every time I googled something about my drinking it led me here and now I'm finally ready to get serious about this. Thank you to everyone who posts here. It's one of many things that has given me the courage to try to change my life.

I guess I've known I'm an alcoholic on some level for the past 10 years or so (I'll be 32 in a few weeks). This last weekend I finally admitted I have a problem to my wife. I don't know if I was worried about how she would react or not (of course she was supportive). It seems like I had all these things blocking me from admitting who and what I am (worried about a stigma from family and friends, not wanting to give up my 'hobby', being seen as weak, etc.) but finally those things just don't seem to matter. I want to cry when I think about the time I've wasted and the damage I've done to my body, but I just have to remember that it's better late than never and I can't change the past.

It's taken me 10 years to admit out loud that I have a drinking problem, and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I know there is a lot of hard work ahead but for now I'm just taking it one day at a time.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I just feel like I have a lot to get off my chest.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning Teleman..Welcome to SR...It is hard to admit...But that is a positive step...
Read through the posts in the under 30 thread and consider joining the December thread for newcomers...

You will learn lots about others and yourself and find support...

keep posting !

Jim
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad you're here TeleMan!

It's a tough step admitting to the fact and am happy that your wife is supportive.

If you want to give up drinking, it will be the best decision of your life. You'll find tons of support and encouragement here to guide you the way.

Please join me and many others in the December Class!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2012-a.html

The first step, of course, is refraining from taking that drink and continue to do so on a daily basis. One day at a time.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome TeleMan (to posting at least)

I can totally relate to your post. It's hard to admit what feels like such a weakness, but, as you said, that part doesn't really matter. Quitting and healing is what matters.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You have taken the huge and hardest first step. Admitting there is a problem. So the questions is, "What is your plan to get and stay sober?" Sobriety does not happen just because you want it to.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you everyone for your positive messages.

Cat1961 and SoberJim - Thank you for your suggestion. I will join the 'class of Dec. 2012'.

MIRecovery - Thank you for your kind words. You're right about needing a plan. I guess that's the next step.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeleMan View Post
It's taken me 10 years to admit out loud that I have a drinking problem, and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I know there is a lot of hard work ahead but for now I'm just taking it one day at a time.
I know that feeling of relief too. And 32 is the perfect age to be addressing this Lots of people waste their 20's trying to find their feet.

You'll find lots of support here and lots of info on recovery methods and techniques which can help you.

Glad you're here x
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome TeleMan! Google knows what it's doing because this is an awesome place to be! You're here.. It doesn't really matter how long it took, you're here now. Just one day at a time my friend. For me, going to alot of meetings and talking with others in recovery helped greatly. Heck, I was so broken when I first got here all I did for the first year was just go to meetings and not drink. But everyone's program has to fit their situation. My ego used to tell me I was weak.. Not so much. I hope, in time, you find that to be true as well. I have learned soo much from this program and continously learn new coping skills. Taking up new hobbies was terrifying for me but, in time, I started becoming an individual again with new, healthier interests. Really glad you are here and you should be proud of yourself!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Teleman - It took me 56 years to admit that I was an alcoholic. So don't be too hard on yourself. I think - wow - if I could have seen the light 20 years ago I would have alleviated a lot of pain and suffering from my life. Just think how much pain and suffering you won't have to go through because you've come to the truth this soon.

One of the reasons I could never admit it was because I spent 14 years sober. I just thought I could control if I did or if I didn't do it. I began asking: "What the heck is wrong with me if I can't control it? I can control everything else." I thought it was a character defect - nope - it's a progressive pathological disease - alcoholism is listed in the DSMIV as a mental illness.

I decided to drink again in December of 2010. Even after previous years of sobriety, the disease had definitely progressed. I finally came to it though "I AM AN ALCOHOLIC." I'm still processing this new information. AND I'm still processing, "My life has become unmanageable." My eyes are being opened to the very ways my addiction patterns have contributed to "unmanageable."

the really great thing is though - the journey through the steps has been nothing short of a miracle and I'm only on Step 4. I joyfully anticipate what is in store for me (and for my loved ones) now that I'm in recovery.

Good luck to you young man - you are doing yourself such a beautiful service. And not only you but every single person you come into contact with in your family, and on this planet. Your light has been lit.

Audra
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Teleman,

I had been drinking for about 3 years when I finally admitted to myself that I was an alcoholic. I was exhausted from months and months of trying to control/moderate my drinking and manage my life. It was such a relief to finally just stop.

I'm glad you've joined us.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Same here..... Pride and fear (and wanting to keep drinking) kept the battle going. I was so sure I'd find a way to fix it on my own and be able to drink differently the "next time."

I'm so glad you've begun this new journey - you can do it!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cfm

Teleman:
Here's your basic problem.
On your own unaided thinking, drunk or sober you will have no success. Ya don't think to good when your drunk (obviously ) and when you think sober you end up drunk.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm................What do you think we should do?????