Notices

Company Christmas Party

Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Company Christmas Party

I am looking for some advise on how to deal with this years company Christmas party. With the position I have in the company I have to attend but the work group is know to have quite a few drinks and it will be everywhere during the event. I have been sober for under a month and worried that the temptations will be overwhelming. I know there is no easy answer for this but I am just putting it out there to see what others may have done when faced with situations like this and what tools I can use to keep myself from having one and then 8 and then 12 or worse.

Thanks for any advise
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Make a plan.
Tell people beforehand that you won't be drinking (you can give any reason, say you are on antibiotics, have to be up early the next day etc)
Offer to drive. People are genuinely pleased they don't have to worry about ordering a cab.
Always have a non-alcoholic drink in your hand so people don't offer to get you an alcoholic one.
Keep in mind how bad you will feel the next morning if you drink.
Stay strong x
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MOST importantly, if you think at all that you might drink, DON'T GO!

Have the flu that day.

If you do go, have a clear and concise exit plan. Do NOT drive there with anybody else. Do NOT commit to driving anybody home regardless of how sober you are. ALWAYS keep a drink, your drink, like a CAN of coke in you hand, make an appearance, arrive late and leave early.

Personally, I don't even go to work Christmas parties anymore. Not that I question my sobriety, I just don't like them. A bunch of drunks! Obnoxious!

Oh, and pray before you go in.

Good luck,
Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Guess it it is good I no longer have a job. I believe you can do what you decide to do.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

av i went to mine last night..

jeni's post was so much how it went last night, especially "Keep in mind how bad you will feel the next morning if you drink. " i texted my buddy i drove home last night at 10am, asking how he was feeling. he texted me back at 3pm saying he had just woken up, a wasted day for him.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Jeni
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have your phone to call someone if you need to talk to a sober friend, or post on here. Just slip into the bathroom and start posting. In fact, maybe make a commitment you will post a "this is how I'm doing" message at a certain time.
Arrive a little late, go straight to the bar and get a club soda or something. See who you need to see, then have a pre planned excuse of what time you need to leave

If you are truly worried, don't go. You can always say you weren't feeling well. Nobody will remember you weren't there
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I had under 30 days dry....There was no way I would go. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it...People get sick you know? I was in no mental condition to put myself in that situation...I'm in AA...I hadn't worked the steps...I had no tools to deal with that. My sobriety meant my life...I wouldn't go. There will be more Christmas parties...This year will be my second sober Christmas.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AV08 View Post
I am looking for some advise on how to deal with this years company Christmas party. With the position I have in the company I have to attend but the work group is know to have quite a few drinks and it will be everywhere during the event. I have been sober for under a month and worried that the temptations will be overwhelming. I know there is no easy answer for this but I am just putting it out there to see what others may have done when faced with situations like this and what tools I can use to keep myself from having one and then 8 and then 12 or worse.

Thanks for any advise
As you feel you must attend, go later, leave after dinner, if anyone asks just say you "cant drink right now with your meds on your doctors advice"

I used to drink a big mug of hot tea when i first quit. I was most surprised when others joined me like i was such a trendsetter!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just went to my Christmas party this weekend so I have a fresh perspective on this! First, we skipped the cocktail hour and showed up right before they served dinner. Something that helped me get through, was I drank gingerale, and I drank in a small glass like those that the cocktails came in. That way no one asked me "whyaren't you drinking"? Or, I hope that has alcohol in it! Or whatever else people say to make the situation even more awkward. Then, get up and make yourself talk to people! You will find that some people are just as nervous as you, with or without a drink in hand. Also - you will be surprised to see just how many people DONT get drunk, and how many people that are drunk, are making a big fool out of themselves. That should be motivation enough. You can do this!! If you start getting really bad anxiety, step outside, take a walk, some deep breaths, etc. If possible, take someone with you that will support your decision not to drink that night... and remember to take it one day at a time, You aren't going to drink that day, don't make it anymore harder then it has to be. Good luck, we all have faith in you!! xoxo
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i also skipped the Christmas party this year. the person i would probably go with had a surgery and is recovering slowly. she drinks but would support me, but would still make it awkward. it was last night, so will be interesting to see what shows up on facebook and the stories at work on monday. all the non-drinkers are always waiting to hear who made an arse out of themselves - yay, i'm one of them this year.
i think all the "scripting" suggested beforehand are great. and if you have a smartphone, i would actually type them in so you have a cheatsheet to refer to. you can always check it out in the bathroom to either remind or give you a boost of support ( i would even put in members names who gave you the line to remember that there are real people that are standing out here on the internet cheering you on! )
and be honest with yourself: if you are feeling shaky, can you get out of it without such a big mention at work? if it will hurt you at work i can understand. not fair but that's the world nowadays.
best of wishes to you!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AV08 - Have that non-alcoholic drink in hand disguised as a cocktail. I'd also go with the Meds excuse should anyone ask. Most importantly, look around at all the drunks who are going to feel like crap the next day because you won't be!

Be strong and good luck!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am new as well and my plan for these was to go late and leave early. For me it was the first 30 minutes of nerves caused me to drink but i could not stop like most people. So when i get to a party i go to a quiet place usually the bathroom and say a prayer and sort of psych myself up ( almost like a sporting event , when i played). This usually got me thru this. Remember no one was ever fired for not going to an xmas party but plenty have been fired for going to that same party....,
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was at a party last night and am going to one next week.

No problem, I'll be drinking beverages that don't contain alcohol.

If anyone asks, I'll respond;

'I'm not drinking.'

These things do not need to be complicated.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Think there is lots of good advice above. I haven't decided whether or not I am going to my Christmas party this year. I am in charge so I should go, but I have kid activities that weekend, and may not get home in time to get there.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A lot of great advice! Sip on a Coke or a glass of water and be the social butterfly that you are. If it gets tough, excuse yourself early, post here, call me or call/text M.

I'm so proud of you!!!!!