Notices

Interesting morning.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting morning.

Hard to believe it's only 10:30 in the morning; it's been eventful.

Today is the one year anniversary of my wife returning home from prison. We woke up in a rather festive mood as a result. Then we called dad, as we do every morning. He just returned home from visiting the grandkids to find his home burglarized and everything he treasured missing - his fathers ring, the watch my stepmother got him before she died - his dream car that my wife and I bought for him a few years back, a 1955 oldsmobile... everything gone.

Here's the thing though...

Everyone I love is okay. My wife is home, my dad wasn't. I'm sober and present and can share the joys and the disappointments of life with the people I love.

It's a good day.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Wow. You weren't kidding about an interesting morning.

So sorry to hear about what happened to your dad. I can't imagine how it must feel like to find treasured items stolen from you.

Your approach and reaction to this is really great. We have such attachments to "stuff" and things, but when we look at the big picture, we see what it most important to us. Your sobriety, your wife's freedom, your family...there is no comparison to a thing with 4 wheels and something you put on your finger, as much as they will be missed.

This is ripe for a resentment, but it sounds like you have dealt with it, and will deal with it if it comes up again. But this is a great example to those who seek peace and serenity in sobriety. That these things come and go, that to let it fester and gather anger is pointless. The stuff is gone. it might come back, but probably not. But our centerdness and serenity is something that we only allow to be taken from us.

Thanks for this post.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
We have such attachments to "stuff" and things, but when we look at the big picture, we see what it most important to us.
People are more important than stuff...all people, even the ones who burglarized dad's home. Twenty years ago it might have been me doing the stealing and though my behavior didn't show it back then - I was more important than stuff too.

Who knows, a year from now, two years, ten... someone might be approaching dad to make a ninth step - once they figure out that they're more important than stuff too.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kinda comes down to what can be replaced and what can't. Even sobriety. I've known folks in AA who take going back out so lightly, that they don't realize, or maybe don't care that there really aren't any guarantees that they'll make it back. I'm glad you're taking the view that "stuff" is what it is. Lives, even mine today can't be replaced. I know you've probably heard this but here goes. Today is a gift and that's why it's called the present.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Who knows, a year from now, two years, ten... someone might be approaching dad to make a ninth step - once they figure out that they're more important than stuff too.
THAT line there was nothing but AMAZING!

I admire you assessing the situation and reacting with such grace. It is extremely inspirational.

I am sorry these things happened, and can only hope for better things to come your way.

Will keep you all in my prayers. God Bless.