Notices

Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Twenty-Four Hours a Day

~*~*~*~*^TwentyFourHoursADay^*~*~*~*A.A.
Thought for the Day

We have slips in A.A. It has been said these are not slips but premeditated drunks, because we have to think about taking a drink before we actually take one. The thought always comes before the act. It is suggested that people should always get in touch with an A.A. before taking that first drink. The failure to do so, makes it probable that they had decided to take the drink anyway. And yet the thoughts that come before taking a drink are often largely subconscious. People usually don't know consciously what made them do it. Therefore, the common practice is to call these things slips. Am I on guard against wrong thinking?

Meditation for the Day
"The eternal God is thy refuge." He is a sanctuary, a refuge from the cares of life. You can get away from the misunderstanding of others by retiring into your own place of meditation. But from yourself, from your sense of failure, your weakness, your shortcomings, whither can you flee? Only to the eternal God, your refuge, until the immensity of His spirit envelops your spirit and it loses its smallness and weakness and comes into harmony again with His.

Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may lose my limitations in the immensity of God's love. I pray that my spirit may be in harmony with His spirit.

(Twenty-Four Hours a Day) Hazelden Foundation 2012

Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

This reminds me what it says in the 12&12 - that drunkenness (or slip in this case) is a result of disobedience of spiritual principles. For me, honesty is the most important, and if I can't be honest in step one, then the rest of the steps won't help, the amount of meetings I attend won't help, the best sponsor in the world won't help. I will surely drink again if I and dishonest or change my idea that I am powerless over alcohol and that my life is unmanageable. Those who I know personally who have slipped (or "gone sideways" as my sponsor calls it), it was because they failed to enlarge their spiritual life.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Right! There is only one reason that I would ever drink again. The failure to enlarge my spiritual life.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

slip= Slow Loss of Individual Purpose.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like that Tomsteve. Havent heard that one yet, but that about sums it up.

Its that cunning nature of alcoholism. A slip doesnt start with the idea of "I think Ill take a drink today." It starts with "People are getting on my nerves" , "My job sucks" "I can skip my morning prayer and meditation today", "My homegroup doesnt really need me there", "I dont have time to sponsor people". Sooner or later enough of this stuff piles up that we are completely cut off from the Sunlight of the Spirit and the idea to drink seemingly comes out of nowhere. Really we were setting ourselves up for a slip a long time ago.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Those who I know personally who have slipped (or "gone sideways" as my sponsor calls it), it was because they failed to enlarge their spiritual life.
Horizontal growth rather than vertical growth. I agree with your sponsor.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Every time I slipped I had never called anyone before it happened. Probably because then I couldn't have gone through with it and that's not the type of instant gratification I was looking for...this reading, even though it seems simple now, was something yet again I was able to over complicate.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Slip = Sobriety lost its Priority..

Great responses to this post.. Thank you all.