Notices

Feeling like using again

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like using again

I have been sober for almost 8 months now and lately I've been feeling about drinking and using again. I am doing good. Started school again, got a job and everything but I feel like because everything is back to normal again it would be okay to use even though I know it isn't. I just feel like I have no motivation left. is this normal when you've been sober for a while?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be.

I know when I stayed away from drink or drugs for a while, but the rest of my life stayed the same, seeing the old friends, hanging out in the old places.... it was pretty much inevitable that I'd start thinking the old thoughts.

what else have you changed in your life recoveryfirst?

D
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am months and hanginging on we can do it together
Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have changed a few things. going to meetings, not seeing the same people, I found a new job. I feel like I was able to do it for 8 months, if I use I would be able to get sober again but alcohol and drugs almost killed me last time. I know it is not the right way to think
Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I go through that every now and then... nothing real bad, but I do need to stay strong. I tend to focus a bit more on this forum (Newcomers) when I get that way, sad to say, but when I read the words of those still stuck in the cycle it hits hard and I am reminded that I'm not immune to it in any form nor amount, that which had me broken & powerless.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am trying to stay focus on sobriety but it scares me to think this way
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meetings are great....Are you doing any stepwork? Do you have a sponsor?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have a sponsor. I stopped going to meetings because meetings here are at 7 pm and 8 pm and I work night shifts
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel like I was able to do it for 8 months, if I use I would be able to get sober again but alcohol and drugs almost killed me last time.
I thought that once. Went out for 2 years.
I learned I really need to maintain my recovery, especially when it's the last thing I want to do.

D
Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am only on day 46, and to me 8 months sounds pretty amazing! You worked really hard to get those months, and it sounds like things in your life are going well right now.

Stay strong, and just avoid that first drink/drug!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks. I just feel like things are going too well and I could easily get back on track even if I know I wouldnt be able to
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

That's the one that worries me the most;
When I get high emotionally and want to have a congratulatory drink.. I can think through it and shut it down.
I get low emotionally and want to have a 'F*** it all!' drink... I can calm down & think it through.
But that little voice that whispers so softly and convincingly "Have a drink." is the hardest to deal with. I have to remember that when I quit drinking, I didn't have to be in a really good or really bad mood to get FUBAR, I did it every day, every time I started.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try this elastic band analogy.

I drunk and quit, drunk and quit many many times - I always 'snapped back'...

eventually tho, just as the rubber band loses its tautness, I didn't snap back anymore either....it took more and more...and more effort.

D
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recoveryfirst View Post
I have been sober for almost 8 months now and lately I've been feeling about drinking and using again. I am doing good. Started school again, got a job and everything but I feel like because everything is back to normal again it would be okay to use even though I know it isn't. I just feel like I have no motivation left. is this normal when you've been sober for a while?
I can really relate to how you feel recoveryfirst. I'm nearly nine months sober now and I feel so 'normal' sometimes, like I could drink like everyone else. It also doesn't help that 'tis the season to get drunk. I think that is all it might be in fact. The thing that helps me, is that when I really think about it, drinking again scares the life out of me. This my first proper attempt and I found it so hard to quit last time. I'm not sure I could do that again. That and staying connected to other alcoholics really helps. If you can't get to meetings could you make an effort to spend more time here or find a more timely meeting. I try to keep track of what I'm thinking and I know that if I detach myself too much from other sober people then those drinking thoughts start coming back x
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi recovery. Congratulations on your 8 sober months.

I got a little antsy after being sober for 3 yrs. I decided I could have 'a glass' of wine. Surely I wouldn't allow myself to go back to hell, right? I'll spare you the details, but 7 yrs. later I was drinking 'round the clock and completely out of control. Very bad things happened that I never imagined. All because I thought I might handle it again. We are all different, and I'm sure not saying that's what would happen to you - but that's how it was for me.

I think it's great you came here to discuss this and to tell how you're feeling.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You probably don't want to drink and start going back to that hell! Especially since it almost killed you. But your addiction voice is telling since everything seems ok now..you can probably handle it. But You know deep down that isn't true. Tell that beast (addiction voice) to shut up and you will be fine..congrats on 8 months that is wonderful..i bet you feel great and you should be so proud!!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've done this before. I'm now 24 days sober, and still I keep asking myself..."In a few months sober...could I pick up another drink?"

I looked honestly at myself. WHY was I thinking about that possibility of a future drink? After all, isn't it just a liquid? So what's the deal? I came to the conclusion that it's that little addict voice, my obsession...however subtle, it still exists at the moment, and keeps trying to pop up and win me over. I guess everyone's different. Maybe some people could go back to drinking normally, and I tip my hat to those who can. but I've personally decided I can't. I can't listen to that voice now, or anywhere in the future. It just doesn't work for me. I've given into that voice one too many times and I've landed flat on my face over and over.

congrats on 8 months. I hope you continue to try to be very insightful and thorough with these choices, and good luck!!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by recoveryfirst View Post
I have changed a few things. going to meetings, not seeing the same people, I found a new job. I feel like I was able to do it for 8 months, if I use I would be able to get sober again but alcohol and drugs almost killed me last time. I know it is not the right way to think
I quit drinking for 6 years and I was back at a fifth a day with in 2 months. You pick up right where you left off. I then proceeded to make up for lost time for 4 years and ended up in a hospital. Unfortunately a lot of people quit drinking when they are dead.

Are there morning AA meetings in your area?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
recoveryfirst,
It's your addictive voice, and it's no more right this time than it ever was.

Desires are normal. It is not necessary, nor is it always prudent, to act on them.

It's a Jedi mind trick. Recognize it as such and don't take the bait.