Al Anon?

Old 11-24-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al Anon?

There is no Coda or Acoa meetings in my town. The nearest Coda is nearly 2 hours drive and I go there once in two weeks. I know there is Al anon meetings in my town and I'm not sure if I should go there. I know I'm condependant, but it's more about making sure people are happy around me and offering my help even if they don't want it rather then addiction problems (my sis has some drinking and benzos abuse issues, but that's not my bigest problem). I would appreciate if somebody shared their experience with Al Anon
Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Al-anon is for people who's lives been affected by a loved one's addiction. Some meets focus on ACA issues, other on spouses, others on children, and so on. The general suggestion is to try 6 different meetings and see what you think of it.

If you decide to go, let us know what you find

Mike
Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jur123,

I second DesertEyes recommendation. In my area the intergroup website includes the literature focus if appropriate for the meeting. So I've looked at meetings that use Hope for Today and Survival for Recovery.

When I was visiting another area - they had a code for adult children focused meetings.

If you have active alcoholism in the family I think the any meeting might help. You might contact your local intergroup and see if they have a specific focus meeting.

I'm lucky to have ACA meetings in the area - but I supplement by going to Al-anon meetings. I think they are both helpful in different ways.

Congrats Jur123. The f2f is huge for me - helps with the isolation big time.

Vicki
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Jur...

I have been in Alanon for years. Alanon has its own red and black Big Book for adult children, and a daily reading book called "Hope For Today".

Hope for Today is a resource I would heartily recommend. Alanon is fairly structured, something that a lot of people find helpful and comforting.

ACA seems to be very open ended and ' a work in progress'. I find this challenging in a very positive way. But not all people might feel this.

In the end- each one of us makes up the group conscience... we all have have lots to offer, and heaps to gain...

I wish you very well on your journey...

DavidG.