Notices

Court Monday! Do I even have a lawyer??

Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Court Monday! Do I even have a lawyer??

Just venting a bit but I have a big court date on Monday. I have called my lawyer, his assistant, emailed and have not heard a thing. Not sure what the hell we are doing Monday but he has my $2,500. Pretty sad. Facing jail time and no word. I am 81 days sober and this guy has stressed me out more than not drinking.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Relax! Nothing helped me out more than the Serenity Prayer. Read it a few times. You can only control what you can control. So relax and enjoy the holiday as best you can. The lawyer will be there. Look up your hearing on the WI web site.

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

If your lawyer is listed, and they don't show up, the judge will know and hopefully have mercy on you. Been through my fair share of WI court this past year. PM me if you want to talk.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He prob. is just wrapped up in getting his cases done that are before Thanksgiving.

I'm sure he'll be there. He might just be assuming that you guys will just meet up before you go into court and that he'll really quick give you the run down.

In the worst case scenario, if you show up at court and your lawyer doesn't show up you can explain to the judge and ask for a continuance and they will give you a later court date so you can get a new lawyer. As for already giving your lawyer money, well if he doesn't show then he has violated his ethical duty as a lawyer and you can sue him to get it back.

Just take deep breaths, everything will be okay. I'm sure your lawyer is just busy with the up coming holiday.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Maylie View Post
He prob. is just wrapped up in getting his cases done that are before Thanksgiving.

I'm sure he'll be there. He might just be assuming that you guys will just meet up before you go into court and that he'll really quick give you the run down.

In the worst case scenario, if you show up at court and your lawyer doesn't show up you can explain to the judge and ask for a continuance and they will give you a later court date so you can get a new lawyer. As for already giving your lawyer money, well if he doesn't show then he has violated his ethical duty as a lawyer and you can sue him to get it back.

Just take deep breaths, everything will be okay. I'm sure your lawyer is just busy with the up coming holiday.
Excatly what I was going to say. Try not to worry about it. I know I wouldnt of because I would of made sure I got the continueance so I could just put it off even longer. That was my alcoholic way then..
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would love to put it off but that also if my alcoholic brain. I need to face this and keep moving forward. I did say the serenity prayer a couple of times. I am at peace and am just going to enjoy the weekend and the family. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done duke.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2153 View Post
I would love to put it off but that also if my alcoholic brain. I need to face this and keep moving forward. I did say the serenity prayer a couple of times. I am at peace and am just going to enjoy the weekend and the family. Thank you.
Good deal, enjoy the holiday its to good.

I went into jail once during thanksgiving. And my last dui had to go to county for 21 days. And every time I was there, I realized all that worring about court and stuff just got me worked up for nothing. Because truly it was all out of my hands. I just had to accept it and move forward like you said.

It is unbelievable not to worry about those things today. Get it done, and get yourself free not only from that jail time but this way of life. I did it you can too.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Familyman,

Definitely enjoy the weekend with your family. I am sure it will be hard but try to just focus on them this weekend. 81 days sober is wonderful, and hopefully the court will look on that as well. I will be praying for you Monday, please let us know what happens.

Sending prayers, hugs, and support.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Family man, your lawyer will be there, I used to work for a lawyer who didn't return calls much, but he was always in court.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My lawyer finally called. Get sentenced on Monday at 8:00am. I am happy to get it over with. I am actually not that worried about the jail time itself. I can do it. I am more worried about keeping my job and without it I will lose my house. I called my wife and we are going out to a nice lunch. Try to relax now. It is all in the hands of my HP.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm happy he called so you could have one less thing to stress about it.

Enjoy your nice lunch
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you mean tell us, what you're getting jail time? :-)