Notices

Made it through two big drinking events sober this weekend

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through two big drinking events sober this weekend

My partner and our little girl were a wedding this weekend so we had to attend the rehearsal dinner on Friday night and the actual wedding on Sunday.

Open bars at both events for the entire event. In fact, at the rehearsal dinner they were bringing around wine to the tables (and filling glasses that were low) the entire time. (In the past that trick would spell trouble for me because well, after all, I wasn't requesting the drinks, they were just coming magically to the table for me so how could my partner get upset if I got a bit tipsy??? )

The wedding yesterday was a bit harder for me. But I knew going in I wasn't going to drink. In fact the few times I contemplated drinking while there--the thought made me very uncomfortable when thinking of all of the time I have spent here reading--and the 4 AA meetings I have recently attended. It was as if the more I thought about actually drinking the further away I got from it. Thinking it through to the end result helped, a lot.

I'm serious this time and my addictive voice knows it.

I even danced a few songs.

It was fine. The earth didn't stop spinning...and, most importantly....

I'm 23 days sober today.

Thanks all for being here.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is my second day and that is somthing I am worried about, how to be around our freinds and events. Everything we do involves drinking. I've been trying to think what I am going to do in any situation. How do you transition to the person who doesn't drink. What do you say?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 23 days, and even more so on avoiding the two open bars this weekend!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cheeka View Post
This is my second day and that is somthing I am worried about, how to be around our freinds and events. Everything we do involves drinking. I've been trying to think what I am going to do in any situation. How do you transition to the person who doesn't drink. What do you say?
It's a good question. I think the answer varies based on what works best for you. Only one person asked me why I didn't drink the champagne toast (perhaps everyone else thought my diet cokes were mixed drinks? not sure) as she thought I was a drinker. (She's my daughter's nurse and although she and I have talked about drinks in the past--beer choices etc---she's never seen me actually drink before.) My answer last night was, "I gave it up. Drinking makes fitting in this dress a little hard". My answer was the truth. Prior to three months ago I was drinking beer most every night and had gained a bunch of weight. Between not drinking anymore and working out more, I've lost most of the weight now and this person knows I've lost weight.

Were most people drinking at both events--absolutely. Some to excess. But luckily my partner doesn't drink, and was quite happy I wasn't drinking either.

The truth is if I did drink at either event chances are I would get drunk. And if I didn't get drunk and just buzzed--I would be asking to stop at a store on the way home so that I could finish the job. AND I would have justified it by saying "look how good I have been"--like I'm a child who needs a blue ribbon for not trashing my body.

Thinking through the crazy that is my alcohol abuse can be quite humbling at times.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you! Congratulations!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done! Congratulations on Day 23 as well. It's funny how the earth doesn't stop isn't it. There's no bi plane in the sky with a banner declaring you're not drinking, no fanfare, nothing! I learnt this when I survived a sober social weekend. Like you say. It pushes you further away from drinking.

Congrats again

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Congratulations on your 23 days sober.