Someone please help me!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone please help me!

My brother needs help and I don't know where to turn he needs to stop drinking. I have taken care of him most of his life we lost our parents young and he just has some emotional problems that he hasn't dealt with. What do I do????Is there anywhere I can send him?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((marlana)) - Welcome to SR, though sorry for what has brought you here. Unfortunately, your brother has to want to stop drinking and get help for it to do any good

I hope you read around here, including the "stickies" - permanent posts at the top of this forum. There are soooo many people here who are going through similar situtations.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Impurrfect is correct, there is no place you can send him. He has to want to change himself.

Have you tried Al-Anon yet? It's very helpful to meet with folks IRL and learn how to take care of oneself through the chaos of alcoholism.

Peace to you today,
~T
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In certain states, you can petition a court to send him to detox for up to 30 days. You need to show he is a danger to himself and/or others. I would contact the district court in your area. But as the others said, he needs to decide he wants help for it to do much good. That being said, 30 days of drying out may help him to open his eyes to his situation. Good luck!