Notices

done with denial

Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

done with denial

hello, friends. this is my first time on these posts and i accidentally posted my first post as a reply to someone else's post. sorry about that. reposting as new thread. thanks!
done with denial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello, all. i am new to this site. i first tried to get sober almost 3 yrs ago, through a.a. i was sober from november, 2010-september, 2011, and got the brilliant idea MAYBE could still drink like a "normal" drinker, as i am one of those seemingly "functional" alcoholics, as least thus far. fast forward to a year of drinking which has gotten progressively worse. from 11/6 thru this past tues, 11/13, i drank 8 days straight, which i have never done. today is day 2 being sober and i feel so sick i haven't been able to eat or barely drink any water. i don't want to do this anymore, ever again. i went to therapy yesterday and confessed the extent of my drinking and that i am truly an alcoholic who cannot drink, as i had been not been completely honest with my therapist (shocking! lol). i went back to a.a. today and know it's the place for me, and that it will get easier, but right now i feel so hopeless and scared. it's hard to imagine going almost a year sober again but i did it before and i feel that this time i truly want it. i have grown to absolutely hate drinking, whereas it used to seem fun. i am going to another women's meeting tonight i used to attend and sure that will help, but right now i'm just trying to pass the hours until hope returns, as i can't seem to stop crying. thank you for listening. i know many have experienced the shame i'm feeling after relapsing so you know how i feel.

p.s. after having attending 2 mtgs today, having reconnected with a few a.a. friends i haven't seen in almost a year, i do feel better already, and it's only been about 8 hrs since my original post. so, day 2 comes to a close and i have hope....thanks to all on these forums.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hey zoid, congrats on 2 days and welcome to SR
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoid View Post
i went to therapy yesterday and confessed the extent of my drinking and that i am truly an alcoholic who cannot drink, as i had been not been completely honest with my therapist (shocking! lol).
Isn't it amazing that despite all the effort we put into getting and going to see a therapist that we then hide the truth we are there to unravel. It wasn't until I started to admit to other people my alcoholism that I began to admit it to myself.

You've made a big step, congrats.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Zoid!

Good for you for going to two meetings today. Glad you found SR, it has been my biggest source if support and inspiration.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

again...welcome Zoid

I think it's natural to feel a little scare and helpless...but you're not alone here - there's a lot of support

D
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

thanks for the kind welcomes. i travel for a living and cant always get to a meeting every day, so i'm sure this site will be very helpful to me. in the meantime, trying to double up on my days off work.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey zoid, welcome

Do you know how many times I lied to my therapist so that she would think she was doing a good job? (lol) Glad to have you here
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome zoid! Please don't feel ashamed. Through all those ups and downs, you've learned something valuable - now you're ready to do this. I was the same way - tried to be a social drinker, just couldn't see myself living without alcohol. Why, I don't know - it was bringing me nothing but misery and danger.

We're happy to have you with us - you'll find this place amazingly supportive and helpful. I couldn't have made it out of hell without my friends here to give me hope.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. The sadness is a left over from the depressant. Try to concentrate that this shall past. Stay strong! I am 3 days sober, you should have seen me first 2, just hang on
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Looks like AA was working for you before...Good for you for getting back into it....
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

hey, yall, thanks. today is day 4. each day does get a little better. being back at the mtgs and seeing my old sober friends has reminded me of how happy sobriety made me and how badly i want it back. thanks for the kind words!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's great news, zoid. You can do this, and never go back to that miserable world.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

today is day 5 and it's amazing to me how quickly you start to feel good again. happy, grateful, and full of hope. wishing everyone a happy and sober day!:day6
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Zoid,

Welcome! I live in Austin now, but I lived in Atlanta for 30 years. I loved the meetings at 8111 - 8111 Roswell Road. If you haven't tried their meetings, try to at some point in time....I really miss that place. Great people. Best wishes!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoid View Post
today is day 5 and it's amazing to me how quickly you start to feel good again. happy, grateful, and full of hope. wishing everyone a happy and sober day!:day6
You too Zoid! Great job getting through those first days.