Notices

Stopping drinking and being in recovery!!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Stopping drinking and being in recovery!!

I have quit loads of times before months at a time but never really changed my attitudes to life its like I quit just until I could work out a plan to beat the game because iam that gifted lol yeh right!!

This time my decision is almost natural it feels right iam at peace with it and know I have to change my attitudes and way of thinking in order to benefit from being sober and living this way!! My point is I think there is a differance between just stopping and really stopping!! Hope that make sence!!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am working the steps in AA and also doing a workbook. The self examination is eye opening. It is almost cleansing.

I was talking with my sponsor about how I feel different this time because the desire to drink is gone but I am still doing the work on my recovery.

Previously, I stopped doing anything for my recovery once the desire to drink left. Then it came back and I drank!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most, if not all, of us here have "stopped" several times prior to recovery. Taking a break from drinking, and giving it up altogether are definitely two different things. And I fully believe it has everything to do with your mentality. Seems like you have the mentality to recover and not just take another break. Good for you! And welcome!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Makes sense to me. To be honest, the way I am now I still retain a lot of my drinking attitudes and behaviour. I'm still a slob and a bit of a glutton and I still think like an alcoholic. I am happy sober but I have to do a lot more work and maintenance to be okay. I'm not trying to fix it all overnight though. It takes time and effort to change the thinking patterns of a lifetime! x
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For myself I have been relieved of the obsession for a drink for the last 2 months. For myself , I am using AA as a major support and it works for me, but that's me. In the past I hung on for dear life and white knuckled out up to 3 months but the nagging in my head would lead me back to drink. I wrote in journals about this and this time around I actually don't obsess about drinking nor a lot of other things.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went periods of "quitting", then i had the stupid thought that I could manage it again. Then the downward spiral came back.

Now, For me, quitting is quitting for good. a drink can't be forced down my throat and ruin my life without my permission, which i refuse to give.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Makes perfect sense! That's where I am too. Attempts at quitting don't work until you're ready. Those periods of sobriety where you think you're ready"cured" are just awful aren't they?

I look forward to seeing more of what you have to say!