Notices

Necessary slip

Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Necessary slip

Hi all,

Well it's been 30days back on the old trusty wagon after nearly a year of sobriety, during this last 30 days I've had some great reflections on my recent attempt to be a social drinker, whilst I have called it a slip it wasn't really it was a risky experiment. I discussed with my wife that I thought I could go back to just drinking socially (glass of red on a evening) in not going into anymore detail as most of you guys know what happens next ( Train wreak) anyhow I was quick to see the old patterns returning with vengeance and make the change back to sobriety.

After 30 days I feel great my body and mind are rewarding me with high levels of energy ( not my Bipolar I'm quite sure) and random feelings of happiness for no reason, I think my brain says "we'll done" " here's a little shot of dopamine"

Anyhow I now realise that this for me was a necessary experience with the drink as it has now irradicated any niggling thoughts of being a social drinker.

Well I'm now packing my bags as we are going to Singapore tomorrow with the kids for 8 days.

Best wishes to you all

Richie
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and have a grand time in Singapore! It seems as if you are being really honest with yourself yet arent being too hard on yourself for it, which is good.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling well richie77. We all have our own journey and sounds like you have really learned something big in your recovery this time. Have a great vacation!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Richie

From this side of the fence, I'm not sure I agree any slip is necessary...but to be fair I do remember I was pretty hard to convince about moderation too...

I hope this can be, and will be, your turning point - welcome back

D
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

big book page 120.....
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Richie, thanks for sharing your experience. While I agree it was definitely a super risky thing to do, at least you're back now and you know you can't drink like normal people do. I'm one of those alcoholics who doesn't want to drink moderately period. That's how alcoholic I am. Who drinks moderately is what I wonder in my head. That's how sick I am and why I have to stay away from it. I can't drink like a normal person and I'm glad this experience has reaffirmed your alcoholism. Are you in AA?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting back to 30 days, and have a great time in Singapore!!!