Notices

Concerns with 1st sponsor.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerns with 1st sponsor.

So I'm coming to the end of a 10 week outpatient program and approaching 60 days of sobriety but I'm having some concerns with my sponsor. I started attending a regular AA meeting and when I took my 30 day coin I spoke with a guy who I ended up asking to sponsor me. Things started out fairly well, I was calling him everyday like he asked and I completed my 1st step but lately he has stopped returning my calls. I spoke with him 2 days ago and I began working my 2nd step but today at the meeting when I told him I was ready to go over it he gave me an excuse to talk with some other people and then left without saying anything to me. I like the group and plans on continuing to attend it but I'm thinking I may want to look for another sponsor. Am I being to judgmental here? I've never had a sponsor so I'm not sure what to expect.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is your sobriety, and it should be your priority. Get whatever sponsor you feel comfortable with.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sober 12/18/11

In my opinion I would look for another person to sponsor you. The one your describing sounds like he isn't motivated or not ready to be a sponsor anyways.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would seek out a new sponsor. Start observing people in meetings and find someone that resonates with you. Find someone that makes you think "I want to be him". Meet up with him after the meeting and ask him if he can be your sponsor. Don't be offended if he doesn't take up the offer. He may just be too busy or already has his hands tied with other sponsees or whatever the case may be. What's more important is that he should at least help you find a sponsor if he can't be one himself.

My story is a little unusual in that my sponsor actually confronted me after the meeting. I never asked him to be my sponsor but I ended up with him anyway. At the time I was so lost and confused that I was just like "OK" without even questioning it. It has been great because we talk just about every day and we don't just work on the steps. We actually talk AA, what's going in life, how am I feeling, what are my plans, etc.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A good sponsor will make sure that you are taken well care of, I definetely would be looking for someone else. Someone with a sponsor at least.