Notices

Just relapsed. Alcoholic and Bulimic

Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just relapsed. Alcoholic and Bulimic

Hi,
In the last two years I've put together 7 months, 6 month, 4 months, etc. but lately I am really slipping. I got rid of my sponsor because he (I am a woman) borrowed $1500 and hasn't paid me back and I have a big resentment (at him and myself.) I need a new one, I know. And this time a woman, I know. I have been severely bulimic for about 15 years and went to treatment for that and alcoholism two years ago. I still can't stop.

I feel like I'm insane. I relapsed this time after 4 months and being in a successful relationship for the first time in years with a caring, loving person. I don't know if I panicked or what. I feel like I try to destroy myself to push away people who love me. The bulimia usually rears up before a relapse, I think the guilt and shame around it really threatens my sobriety but it is just so compulsive I can't seem to stop.

I went to a meeting today, very hungover, and am going to start all over again, but I am soooooo tired and frustrated and sad. I feel so alone - that sobriety is the loneliest most difficult path. I know I need to change my perspective.... I want to hide from everyone and everything and not feel any emotion, but I know that is impossible. I have had really beautiful sobriety and happiness, but I feel like I can't believe in myself anymore. I just keep doing the same thing over and over.

Any helpful thoughts or advice?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I just wanted to say I hear you about it being a lonely and difficult path. But what other option is there?

Sending strength.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Never lend anything can't afford to lose.

Another friend in AA learned this same lesson recently...

People will let us down.

Glad you found SR. Try again!!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support here as well as our experiences. I find the support here very valuable. It's helped me stay sober for nearly three years now.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR You will never be alone again as you now have many of us here with you & supporting you on your journey. You can do this
Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! The nice thing is you can find someone on here 24/7. I always find inspiration and support when I read posts on here. Keep reading and posting, and also check out Anna's thread with book suggestions.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I could afford to loose it. The problem was I felt used and taken advantage of. I think my anger (resentment) started making me angry at AA in general. I didn't want to talk to my sponsor about it because I was uncomfortable and didn't want to seem petty, as he had helped me so much. Anyway, that facet of my post is the least of my problems. I need help with the bulimia and staying sober and learning to love myself.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes. If anyone has any specific experience with bulimia and alcoholism I would be grateful to hear about it.