Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How many days, months or years until you were coasting (if ever)?

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Basic topic is--with alcohol, what have been the phases of your recovery.. from first days struggling with physical withdrawal, to possibly weeks or months with the same, to the mental withdrawal getting better or worse?

I seem to hear everywhere that alcohol is a disease you have to manage, day to day, and it seems pretty scary. At the same time I wonder if it's as bad as it sounds because odds say if a person 20-years sober is dealing with day 1 every day, he would have caved by now. It must be a bit easier for him today.

I quit smoking my first try, after 3 years of about a pack a day. It wasn't easy.. the temptations were mind numbing and intense. My brain played tricks on me to try to get me to smoke. But I brought an attitude that worked:

Smoking withdrawal is a sickness, like the flu. Pay no attention to the 'cure,' because it only prolongs the disease. Like the flu, wait out the symptoms, rest, let your body get better.

As soon as a week later, things had improved tenfold. Still tough, but not day one tough. A month was another benchmark where I could forget about cigarettes for long periods of time. At 6 months, cravings came from the 'lifestyle' of smoking, like I'm watching a movie where people smoke and sort of remember what it was like to be a cool smoker dude. But with the physical cravings not as strong it was easier to let them pass. I also never wanted to relieve those initial withdrawal symptoms.. basically it was easy to ignore a small craving to give myself the flu.

Anyway I'm a nightly drinker and unfortunately have never got to test this theory out with drinking. In the past 6 years, in the past 3-4 I've got 4 days consecutive max sober (two times? maybe three), a bunch of 1-2 nighters in between. It's like a nightly dosage. The psychological stuff is definitely stronger than smoking (mind creates arguments to undermine you, anxiety, trouble sleeping, etc.). Those times I've quit have been those 'I'm done! This is it! This is the day I quit!' and I tend to have a pretty strong willpower so I truly believe it.

So I've set a modest goal for myself to quit for 10 days and re-asses where I'm at. If the physical withdrawals are getting somewhat better, I think it will give me the confidence to keep going and maybe set a longer goal. Some things like exercising I'm sure will feel much better because now I'm basically constantly hungover. I compare it to smoking and think to myself--if I only tried quitting smoking in 1-4 day increments, I'd thinking quitting was EXTREMELY hard and something I could never do.

Would be curious to hear thoughts, thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think recovery is a life-long process because it's a way to live. Stopping drinking is the first step, and yes you will probably experience physical withdrawl symptoms and cravings. But, the hard work begins at that point, because you need to address the reasons why you are drinking. I was depressed and anxious and an exhausted control-freak, so I had a lot of work to do on myself. I had to deal learn how to deal with life's ups and downs without benefit of alcohol. I hated the person I was, and I love the woman I am now.

Personally, I think if I told myself I was stopping drinking for 10 days, it wouldn't have had the benefits for me, as if I had told myself I was stopping for good. When I said drinking was no longer an option in my life, my brain began to work to find healthy ways to deal with life.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The 10 days thing is mostly to keep me sane right now and to keep perspective so I can't think about never going to a bar with friends again, etc. If I'm sober 9 days from now, after what I've gone through the past year, believe me I'm making a longer commitment. Like smoking I'm hoping I get even more motivated after that first week.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Rennet,

First of all, congrats on quitting smoking. You are correct when you say that staying sober is a daily thing for us alcoholics. I can't speak for what it's like 20 years sober (as I only have about 80 days of sobriety at this point). I will say that even after this much time, I know that if I don't put in the work necessary to stay sober, I will start to drift and probably succumb to that first drink eventually. I am involved in AA, have a sponsor, and go to meetings.

The first few days of sobriety were hell because I was just so terrified and felt like complete crap. Back then I was dealing with physical cravings. Now for me, it's more just a mental craving for me when I get them. I have been having a difficult week this week with sobriety. There's really no reason other than that I am not as involved in the AA stuff this week. I know I won't go to the store and pick up alcohol but I know I will easily start to drift away from sobriety the longer I do this sort of thing. However, I've had some really great weeks in sobriety so far and it was well worth not being hungover everyday, being able to function at work, having a clear head, no anxiety or panic attacks (I feel VERY calm right now -- unprecedented for me!), etc. It's amazing how much the alcohol was affecting my anxiety and moods during the day. I never attributed it to alcohol. So I feel grateful for being sober today. And you can be too if you have a plan for recovery and keep at it. Check out an AA meeting. I wish you luck!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rennet View Post
The 10 days thing is mostly to keep me sane right now and to keep perspective so I can't think about never going to a bar with friends again, etc. If I'm sober 9 days from now, after what I've gone through the past year, believe me I'm making a longer commitment. Like smoking I'm hoping I get even more motivated after that first week.
AA does it differently ... just don't drink for 24 hours! That's it. Today, you put in the work necessary to stay sober for today. Worry about tomorrow tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The physical withdrawals for me lasted about 2 weeks after my final drink. Typical symptoms that you can just pull up on google, I had those. I went through a rehab center and it helped me greatly. Things are different for everyone though. Its around 3 months for me, after those 2 weeks my brain started clearing and it felt wonderful. Im still unlocking parts of my brain that went so long unused.

I don't have physical cravings anymore, they stopped for me around after the 1 month mark. I never thought too far into the future because at first that can be overwhelming. Day at a time. Keep up the hard work daily and things seem to fall into place and make sense over time.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You ask a huge question that has a complex answer. My first thought was to the 10 days quitting thing as I didn't agree with that approach. My thought initially was - you have to quit and then do it. You can't just plan a relapse in 10 days because you most certainly will. Then I read Caldus comment about 24 hours at a time and realized that it is really the idea. You have to quit just one day at at time and work on each day as it comes.

As to every day for the rest of your life being like the first day well that certainly is not true as life gets so much better as the days go on and your head and body clear. The point is that the addict monster we each harbor inside never really dies and will always be there.

I was clean and sober for over 10 years and then succumbed to opiates after a single pill for a painful condition. I was gone for over 3 years with a nasty opiate habit. I have looked back at this and recognize the ever so gradual loss of focus as I let the monster gain a foothold. It began with some cough medicine that let me feel a little something and progressed to more of the same each time I got a cold. I could let that last for weeks. Missing it when it was gone made me start to think that there might be other ways I could catch a little buzz. I wanted to drink again and began to think I could control it. Then the pills and I was a perfect setup.

Its now been 6 months but today I went to the Dr. for another painful problem and was offered my DOC. I turned it down but recognized the possibilities and the thought crossed my mind and I could see that if he had given me 10 pills they would have been gone today. I would have had good intentions but that would have fallen by the wayside quickly. I would get a little high and then would want more and more as it always is.

I don't think that will ever stop and the reality is that I can NEVER take another substance into my body. I simply cannot handle it.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Rennet - I have 7 days currently and I feel great. The first couple days were very challenging, but it depends on the person and the situation. As far as long term goes, I had 7 years without a drop. I felt so good, and had gotten over drinking so much, that I forgot how bad it sucked and did it all over again. That's a side point. Really, after 7 years, I forgot what a craving even was. I remember getting a whiff of some JD one night and I thought wow that smells good, but I laughed and that was it. I really did not start again because I had cravings, I just was so over it I wrongly thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Don't plan on any re-assessing. Just sign in here every day and don't drink.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great feedback. It sort of re-enforces my thinking that I have a skewed view of what it is like to quit because I've only seen the first 4 days. The 10 day thing, I'm sticking to this mindset for now because I think an important goal for me is to experience the withdrawal. At 8-9 days it will not be so scary as the physical stuff starts to get a bit better, and I will be more confident making the commitment in my head.

The other times I quit, the immensity of quitting for the rest of my life hits me on day 4, and seems utterly ridiculous and impossible. "24 hours at a time" leads to me being proud of one day sober, then going back to old habits, and being proud of that 24 hours every couple of months. These are walls I've hit and feel the most important thing this time, like with smoking, is to first get over that initial hill of physical discomfort to get the confidence to commit fully.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!

I agree with the one day at a time. Today was a very stressful day at work. Luckily I had an appointment with my counselor after work, and then went to a yoga class. I am currently baking for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow. Today was the first day I have really wanted a glass of wine. I shared this with my counselor, and told her my motivation today is that tomorrow will be day 30, and I do not want to blow that.

So here I am in between trays of cupcakes checking in on SR and sipping green tea.

Keep reading and posting, SR has been my greatest support.