Notices

Day 27 SOBER

Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 27 SOBER

Day 27 - I am really glad I stopped drinking. I have calculated that I have not spent $250 on beer or injested 27,000 calories to date.

The mental part is getting better. I have never been a get out and do something person, but I know from experience if I just slowly ease into activites, I won't feel like I'm forcing myself.

Keeping busy cooking, reading (alot on SR as well) and doing sports and scouts with my son.

I did receive an email from my Dad's wife (he had another mini stroke a few weeks ago but is home and doing ok). He is home bound while she works. She basically told my brother and me that she was going to move north shortly to live with her son and to come see him because it would probably be the last time (they live 8 hours away). I really should, but that is a tender subject. In my mind, phoning him once a week is all I can handle. To me he is already gone. I really should be the bigger person (and probably will eventually), but just the thought makes me ill.

What's funny is that I have no desire to drink, but knowing I could numb the thoughts and escape for a few hours is tempting. But I am feeling to good and handling things fine, so the beast is sad (I think, he been pretty quiet lately).

Pretty boring stuff, but SOBER boring stuff!

Toss
Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Toss, you can do the needful, you really can. Just like staying sober, the rewards far outweigh the discomfort of the moment. I hope you find some peace with yer Pa soon.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Toss, you can do the needful, you really can. Just like staying sober, the rewards far outweigh the discomfort of the moment. I hope you find some peace with yer Pa soon.
This time sober, I definitely appreciate the upside. I am feeling again 24/7, and I can handle it. Knowing my life is not arranged around drinking is such a relief.

Thanks for the kind words,

Toss
Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great news on the 27 days. I behind you by a week or so. My mind is so jumbled I can't do the math! I am just moving forward and so far I'm getting somewhere. I know how you feel about your Dad. I can relate. I have no feeling one way or another about him. He lived his life without me. I adjusted to it. His final exit happened when I was a little girl.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
Great news on the 27 days. I behind you by a week or so. My mind is so jumbled I can't do the math! I am just moving forward and so far I'm getting somewhere. I know how you feel about your Dad. I can relate. I have no feeling one way or another about him. He lived his life without me. I adjusted to it. His final exit happened when I was a little girl.
I remember you telling me about your Dad. I am following your progress as well and it sounds like we are living parallel sobriety!

I told myself at 30 days I wound stop counting. The count does not matter to me (maybe in the beginning for reinforcement), it's the end goal.

Let's keep it going and thanks,

Toss
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Toss, you are doing so well! I'm glad you're feeling strong and doing nice things with your son.

You might consider that going to say good bye to your father will give you closure and it might be worth it if only for that. Seeing you will probably be a good thing for him and if you can just get through it you won't have as many issues down the road about it all. Maybe you and your brother can just go together soon so you can stop thinking about it?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your progress Toss

As for the Dad thing...only you can make that decision, I think - but I'll pray you make whatever decision will bring you the most peace

D
Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Toss, you are doing so well! I'm glad you're feeling strong and doing nice things with your son.

You might consider that going to say good bye to your father will give you closure and it might be worth it if only for that. Seeing you will probably be a good thing for him and if you can just get through it you won't have as many issues down the road about it all. Maybe you and your brother can just go together soon so you can stop thinking about it?
I am seeing my brother tomorrow and I will talk to him about it. Since it's the holidays, we should be able to find a way to go see him. It will not be easy, but it will be better together not alone.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Toss