Notices

sick and tired

Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sick and tired

Hi all have just joined this site as i am desperately trying to stop drinking. i am sick and tired of going out at weekends and not recovering until tuesday or wednesday of the following week. Have read some of your posts and have been inspired by your stories also can relate to so many of ye.
I started drinking as a teenager like most of my friends but always seemed to be the one who had to have extra or drink the stronger drinks this has continued on now for almost 20 years. while i stopped drinking while i was pregnant i now have a beautiful little 2 yr old girl. I pretty much started out as i left off after i had the baby making excuses to myself and others how my tolerance must of gone down and that is why i was getting so drunk. The truth is tho that i was now drinking more than ever.
Anyway it all came to a head this weekend when i was out drinking loads shots, beer, spirits that i sent my partner home to let the baby sitter home and i stayed out till 6 am drinking! I have been so depressed and even felt an suicdal all week. I found this site and really feel as it can help me. I really would love to give up drink and never look back and hopefully this site can help.
klinks xxx
Old 11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi klinks! I can tell you this place does work - I stopped drinking after a lifetime. I never imagined my life without alcohol, but I finally grew up and decided getting numb wasn't living.

It's good that you see what it does to you - how unpredictable it is. You didn't intend to stay out until 6:00am - but there is no control once we have that first drink. I found myself in dangerous situations, doing things I'd never have done sober. All my attempts at controlling how much I drank failed. I had no choice but to stop all together.

Glad you have joined us - we're here to help you through this challenging time.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Klinks. This site is filled with people who have experience in stopping and staying stopped. I think you will find lots of good help on here.
I drank from about 14 to 33, and I did all the stupid, dangerous, shameful things that came along with it. I've been sober for over 14 years. Never thought it was possible, but it starts with the first day. Can you not drink tonight? And keep posting on here?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,
we are here for you & will offer you support.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow thankyou all for your replies already, i have a good feeling about this thankyou so so much xxx
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Klinks Fromm too. Day 12 here. It is possible with the right support (you found it!) and taking it one day/hour/minute at a time. Life is so much clearer without the dread & panic a binge causes.

Stick around

S x
Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's really devastating when we hit that point that is so low. But, you can begin to change and to forgive yourself. We're here to offer support.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there, Welcome aboard. The trick is to not drink one day at a time. You don't have to stop forever, just today. Try and find an AA hotline or a friend who might be able to get you to a meeting. There is no replacement for human contact when you are fighting this disease. Strength and will power only go so far, seek out someone to speak with.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mum to a three year old girl and 268 days sober.
My life is so much better in every way.

I no longer have the drink related anxiety or panic which I used to suffer from every morning after. The peace that gives you is amazing!

I no longer count the hours away until I can have another drink to ease how bad I was feeling. Yes sometimes life is a little quiet, but there is no way I would trade the peacefulness I have now for a 'few drinks'. There is also never a few drinks for me. It's always drink the house dry or nothing!

I still get tired and a bit grumpy, but it's okay to me now, just as long as it is not from booze. If no drink is involved I am fine accepting that I need a sleep or a few hours to myself, thats what happens when your a mum and you work too.

In a few days the way you feel will wear off, and you might hear a little voice telling you to drink again, just small amounts and it will all be okay, nothing like before. Just ignore it and understand it as an addictive inner voice (sometimes referred to as an AV on here) that is trying to con you into having a drink again.

I wish you all the luck in the world xx
Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Once I gave it up my life started to get better... welcome to SR!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thankyou for your kind words, starting to feel a little better but in the past i would convinced myself that i would be ok to have another drink, not now tho am going to keep reading positive stories that ye all have posted thanks x