Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

having a hard time finding the strength and motivation

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm having such a hard time since rehab. I've moved because it was the only logical option for me. I'm living with a fellow addict who is also trying the recovery route but we both have slipped up several times since my move. I've been to meetings and called people in the program a few times. Things are stressful. I'm three weeks into a forced suboxone detox (meds were stolen, no money to get back on it) and I know I need to be way more involved in the program but can't find the will to take care of myself. My anxiety is through the roof and I find it too intense to leave bed and walk let alone attend a meeting. I feel so stuck. I know what I need to do but just can't seem to get going and stick with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe living with another addict isn't such a good idea?
Is there not anyone else you could live with?
Keep posting n read the forums as lots of support n info.
All the best.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wanttofeelok

I think sometimes the hardest things to do are the right things...I often found my addiction really liked when I did nothing.

Sometimes when we find motivation lacking we have to act as if it's there, I think.

The alternative is to go backwards, mess up, get your butt kicked (again) and find your motivation that way.

Been there done that...it's not a great way to do it. Some never make it out the other side again.

Fight for your future - fight now

D
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Force yourself to get up and move. The other option as Dee said, isn't a wise one. Can you go somewhere else?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As I see it using suboxone is just another way to continue to use drugs. I know it works for some people but in reality you are still taking drugs to try to feel better. Since you were forced to quite suboxone then maybe now you are in the middle of withdrawal as in cold turkey. Read some of the the stuff here where people have done this. I did cold turkey. The description is very much like what you are going through. Lethargy, depression, maybe sleeplessness, restlessness and life without seeming direction. If so then feel confident that you are not dying. Get your ass in gear and do something to fight for your life.

I don't think living with another addict is in your prescription for a healthy life.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fake it till you make it. I felt like crap for months after my initial kick. Then one day the positives started to outweigh the perceived negatives of staying clean from the dope. After a little while longer one starts to really dig the freedom. That empty feeling inside starts to get filled by cool thoughts and activities. The opiates still incessantly whisper in my head at times but their voices are becoming less convincing with time. I'm not a fan of suboxone (replacing one drug with another) but for some people it seems to work. Everyone is different but I have to agree with liv1ce, I don't think living with a fellow addict is a prescription for success. Not saying it can't be done but it seems too easy for one persons weak moment to come crashing down on whatever success was made. Good luck to you both.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there
I am currently 9 days clean from opiates ( the longest I have ever made it!) and I am feeling great so I promise you the once you get past the hurdle of physical withdrawals everything gets a lot easier. The key for me has been remembering that I have changed the physical and chemical composition of my brain during my drug use. Dont fret though the brain is an amazing organ and as soon as you stop it begins to return to your pre usage state. Try to focus on the fact that every time you think of using but resist, you reinforce those "will power" pathways in your brain. Every minute of sobriety is a success in terms of your neurobiology!