Notices

question about how far people go...

Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question question about how far people go...

I posted this in the Friends and Family section, but I was hoping to get some input from those who have been or are addicted to opiates. Have people heard of anyone literally hurting themselves purposely to get pain medication? I feel like a jerk in a way even thinking this but I can't shake the feeling. I guess I'm checking my instinct and my sanity... Thank you and sorry for the butting in.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never hurt myself on purpose but I sure did lie about being hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent hours though at the doctors, wasting so much of my precious life, lying about back, shoulder, knee pain.....What a waste. So glad I am no longer doing that!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

did they do x-rays? CT scans? MRIs?

my boyfriend said he tore his rotator cuff but his story about how has changed...and he was complaining his prescription was messed up before he went to the ER. saturday, he came back saying his shoulder was sprained. sunday, went again to ER and came back saying his rotator cuff was torn. wouldn't go to ER for days when he had a serious infection. said injury happened on friday. didn't mention it friday. it's just all a mess.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think most addicts just go to the ER and lie about their symptoms to get pain meds and don't actually hurt themselves, but I wouldn't rule it out. There are certain tricks or symptoms they use to get meds that are hard to verify with x-ray or MRI, but most ER docs have seen it all and usually will not give out more than a few days worth of meds.

I did work with a guy who I am pretty sure ripped a tooth out so he could go to the dentist for Percocet which seemed a bit over the top. Too much work for me. I used to just drive to the hood for dope.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Marcus...wow on the friend story. It made me giggle because there is no way in ^%$$ that I would ever go that far. I hate the dentist and it is a major anxiety painful experience for me. I would be more likely to think of reasons to go to the ER than mess with my teeth. I am sure we would all be surprised at how far people would go for things.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah crazy right? He had pretty bad teeth anyway so it might have been on its way out. Reminds me of the movie The Hangover.

Sounds like your boyfriend is getting pretty desperate. If he is truly injuring himself to get drugs things are probably going to get really bad really fast. Take care!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I actually never went to the ER, and I drove to the hood often to get my pills. The only reason I doctor shopped was because I have amazing insurance (teacher) so I would prefer to use that instead of my local dealer.

I would never ever think to rip a tooth out, omg, thank god I never went that far. They used to do mri's, and x'rays. But I never worried bout that, as I played volleyball in college and have the battle wounds to prove the hurt. however, the pills made the hurt a million times worse. I craved the meds beyond belief, they would take me over high mountains, across the city, into areas I would never ever go, all to get those few pills. Makes me very sad inside today to think of how far I took it.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Night owl

I've never done that either. Thankfully--or not--I have enough legitimate issues that I got pain meds for that. When I blew through a month's prescription in a week, though, it did cross my mind.....how could I injure myself without truly hurting myself to get more dope?

I knew a guy who had a friend who shot himself in his foot to insure a lifelong supply. Scary and sad.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lie, cheat, steal, manipulate. I did it all to get drugs. I am in the medical field and took advantage of Dr. Friends as well as those I met just to manipulate them to get drugs. A true addict is a master of such things in the endless drive to get what he "needs."
Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you all...i need to hear this stuff. i really do. and it does help. all of this shoulder stuff also just happened to come immediately after he was telling me his prescriptions were messed up. a story he has since back-pedaled on.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The B.S. does not hold up to scrutiny. When high and anticipating a need or when in a frenzy because the need already exists the addict mind can come up with stories and manipulative plans to solve the dilemma and reduce the stress. If you had been in an addicts brain you could see how these sometimes ridiculous thoughts and plans make a certain sense. They all end up at the same spot - the addict gets more drugs.

The problem for the addict comes about when the one act play is viewed by someone who is even the slightest bit suspicious. The "plan" is often quite shallow and falls apart easily. One can alter the scrutiny by turning the situation back on the "accuser" and accuse them of "not trusting me" or "not believing me". "Do you think I could just make this up?" Sometimes in order to turn the scrutiny away the addict is called into action in which the language becomes quite aggressive and accusative.

Does any of this sound familiar?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

absolutely familiar. he ended up going to two hospitals in two days. told me he wasn't given any more pain meds...just prednisone and naproxen. i don't know if that's true or not, how could i? he also says the only meds he has are HIS, but how do i know that? and he is going on and on about how much pain he is in, the story about HOW he hurt himself still makes no sense to me, and i'm most definitely getting the whole, "i can't believe you don't believe me. f**k this! i'm sick of your s**t," routine. i'm "condescending" and "backstabbing"--which i don't even get. he also said, "like i want to be in an immobilizer sling!!!" and he's going to record his dr. appt. so i stop accusing him of lying. i have not been a jerk about it. i've just said that i don't believe it, i'm skeptical for good reason, and he knows he has never been honest with me about his medication so why wouldn't i wonder? it does make me feel guilty though...for doubting, for thinking he would do such a thing, for not being sympathetic like i probably would be if this were not THIS situation. it's crazy-making...truly. sometimes i just wish there was a way to know for sure so that at least i could not feel so bad for questioning it.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to lie to doctors, ER all the time to get pain meds. I know several people who have literally dropped a brick on their foot to break it to get pain meds. Most doctors almost always do an MRI to cover their butt when writing pain meds. (they like lots of tests in their patient files)

I knew where all the Quick Care/Medic Express's were in my county. I got down a really good horase deep cough from deep in my diaphram so I would get hydrocodone cough medicine. So yes, addicts can fake lots of illness for drugs.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No offence but isn't this thread goong to give other addicts ideas on how to get drugs? Is it really appropriate to be talking about how you all got pain meds.

Not trying to be funny or anything but not everyone is in recovery n ppl could relapse?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

An addict does not need someone else's ideas to get drugs. It comes naturally and is driven by need.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

he is irate with me for not believing him. he insists this was an accident and he really did hurt himself. says he got no new medications. i believe nothing anymore. how can i? it seems like every time there has been talk of tapering down or otherwise coming off meds, something happens. i suppose i should just be done with this situation and continue with my own recovery. it's not serving me and obviously there is no trust.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe he's actually telling the truth?
I'd be irrate if no 1 believed me too
But serious all this is encourage to other addicts.

And maybe it IS difficult for him to taper that's HE'S AN ADDICT. He may be scared of coming off them n all this is not going to help him will probably make him worse.

I agree you should concentrate on your recovery as all this is going to make you ill n talk to ppl who know what you're going through.
Take care xxx

Ps: liv just because they'll find a way DOESNT mean thats a good idea to put ideas down for them. Geeze.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I would have already left Mr. Mess ...my life works best
with serenity and peace...

Last edited by CarolD; 10-31-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have never done it but thought of it many times but you are not crazy. Its the addiction taking over. The desperation that comes with opiate addiction is awful and it can drive you to do all kinds of things you would never do... good luck, think positive and remember its NOT WORTH IT.