Notices

Keep the desperation in mind

Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keep the desperation in mind

When you think A drink is an option. It won't be one. Many others will follow, especially if you did it successfully the first night.

I had numerous opportunities to drink this past weekend and thank God I didn't even have the urge.

No, I remember the terror and guilt from the lest time I drank. I cant go through they again. I won't. It always leads to misery.

So I am keeping those thoughts and feelings close to the vest. I am doing anything and everything to stay sober. Because I know that urge to drink will come beck at some point. I have to keep doing the actions even when I feel good.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

One is way to much because for me it leads to 20 and not enough.....

Life of sobriety lies right there in that decision of the first sip..

Have a wonderful day.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wise awareness that caring for ourselves body mind and spirit is a daily choice.

I occasionally and mindfully reflect on my own desperation, but now it's with a deep joy that I never ever have to feel that way again. No more hangovers. Permanently.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

That's probably the biggest motivator for me. I just don't want to feel the guilt, shame, headaches, dismay at money spent, etc. Why did we think it was worth it for so long *knocking head against wall*
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Keep the desperation in mind." That is a GREAT subject line.

Today I am 65 days sober and each and every morning that I wake up clean I can honestly tell you the first throught in my mind is the great joy and relief that I am not hungover. I love this feeling!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frances2011 View Post
Wise awareness that caring for ourselves body mind and spirit is a daily choice.

I occasionally and mindfully reflect on my own desperation, but now it's with a deep joy that I never ever have to feel that way again. No more hangovers. Permanently.
Ha! I wrote the same exact thing before even reading your response. Great minds think alike, eh?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is true, but for me, I believe it is not sufficient to keep me sober. I am a firm believer in the fact that "We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago." as the Big Book says.

I just cant stay desperate enough, unless I am working with desperate newcomers. I eventually get too well and too comfortable and the desperation is gone.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never forgotten what it felt like to be in the throes of my addiction, or the relief and joy I felt when I realised there was another way.

I truly consider both of those are great gifts.

D
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been feeling down lately and my mind is continuously on a loop of negative thoughts. I had the fleeting thought how nice it would be to get drunk, not have a drink, I am not that delusional, but to get drunk, pass out stop the thinking just for a while,to get a rest. I played it through though, it would never be the once and I know that I would pay heavily for that short respite from the incessant thinking.
CaiHong
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will never forget the desperation and the sick sick feelings, both physical and mental....
but i'm a lot more than that now.... I prefer to enjoy my sobriety and life, not dwell on the past. it was bad enough, why keep reliving it?

I have and give gratitude every day (sometimes twice) for coming back to a real life.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree, it's easy to forget how low the lows are when the Beast is whispering in your ear. It's great to read SR every day to keep the desperation fresh in my mind.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

BBthumper, no it is definitely not enough to keep me sober. It is one of the many tools though. Prayer, the Steps, meetings, my sponsor and others in the fellowship are my other tools.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
BBthumper, no it is definitely not enough to keep me sober. It is one of the many tools though. Prayer, the Steps, meetings, my sponsor and others in the fellowship are my other tools.
Yes indeed!