Notices

Day 3 - woke up felt hungover..

Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 - woke up felt hungover..

Today it was so hard to get up, I felt really tired and I thought its harder to get up than "day after" for me today... Got really tense shoulder muscles and headache, went to gym, felt great and feel so happy that Im on day 3, can't stop thinking abot how much i want this!
But god i feel tired!!!

Drinking loads of coffe and feel like eating fruit and being superhealthy, dont know whats happening to me but I like this, apart from my tense shoulder and headache!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your body is craving the sugar you used to get from alcohol.
fruit is a good option, watch out for too much caffiene and heavy workouts in the beginning
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

why should i avoid hard workout in beginning? have decided to go to gym every day now, but is it not adviced?:/
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there and congrats on day 3 that is awesome. I am on day 24 and have been exhausted since day 2. I get a lot of sleep but feel like I have been run over by a truck. I am often achy as well. I drink a ton of coffee and it doesn't help. I think I am actually going to cut way back on the caffeine as suggested in chat last night. It not only dehydrates but can give the jitters. It is great that you are taking care of yourself and wanting to be so healthy. Way to go. I hope I have helped a bit. I too asked this question and our bodies are repairing the damage we placed upon them and it can take a while to feel much better. have a great day!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It all depends on how you feel, but you don't want to overdo and feel bad physically while in early days.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you! and well done to you missing the old me, love this forum, so happy i found this, and hope i dont post too much here haha.. Just so excited but same time nervous for my new life.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi sophiaSS, I think the feeling of extreme tiredness is all part of the healing process. I was rediculously tired for the first few weeks and I also suffered from insomnia and bad, very vivid dreams when I did slep.This has also been the way with a lot of people here on S.R in the early days of recovery. Then I started sleeping for England. I'm nearing 70 days now and I've noticed just this past week that I am feeling really good, alive, content and happy ( apart from having a stinking cold!). So you just stick with it and take each day as it comes. Carry on as you have been doing, drinks lots of water, good food and exercise, be kind to yourself.

You're doing fantastic.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by sophiasunshine View Post
why should i avoid hard workout in beginning? have decided to go to gym every day now, but is it not adviced?:/
Hi, Sophia. It depends on your condition. If you are new to a gym, then it is better to start easily, since your muscles and, primarily cardiovascular system, need time to adjust to exercises. It you start working to hard right now, it wouldn't do good for your heart and body overall - they need to recover after an exercising.

If you keep exercising regularly, then in a couple of months your body will need shorter time to recover and you'll be able to do it every day.

Have a good day.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Sophia,

Congrats on day three of being sober. I too have started my journey to being fully sober again and am working on day six. I know what you mean by feeling hungover and bad, I felt like that for my first three days (espeically since Thursday was a WILD crazy drinking night). But each day it slowly got less and less, after the third day, I started noticing a huge improvement.

Now here is one crazy thing about me, when I was drinking (I could do 5 to 8 shots on Fridays and wake up to do my workout routine on Saturdays which is 20 sets of lifting and running 3 miles in 25 mins), I worked out a lot. Over time, I started to notice I would get out of breath sometimes but still continue. I also got tired easier and it was harder to workout. I still work out, but especially during this recovery, I have been toning it down and easing myself back into what was a normal workout. I have been noticing significant improvement in my physical condition (my skin actually feels healthier and my senses are stronger than they have been in a long time) each day. So yes, take it from me, ease yourself slowly back into your workout. Then when your body is able to live without alcohol better, you will be surprised with the renewed strength and what you can do.

I know it's not an easy journey but, with support and others going through the same thing we all can take each day as it comes and become better people. I do hope that some of what I said is helpful to you and I wish you the best of luck in staying on track to being sober again.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3, Sophia. I am on day 9 and still wake up feeling hungover. I am also still feeling majorly fatigued throughout the day. I figure after poisoning myself for the last 7-8 years that its going to take time for the body to adjust. Ive wanted to get back into working out but I'm going to give it a bit more time and then ease back into a routine. Funny, I used to workout 3-5 times a week..lift weights, running, etc. when I was drinking and now I sometimes feel like I can't even get out of bed. All in due time.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yay on day 3! Just listen to your body and what it needs...sounds like the tense shoulders and headache are crying for: a good stretch/yoga, advil, and/or a massage.

I find that exercise helps me want to stay sober and keeps my mood on an even keel. I just need to make sure that I am pushing myself but not too hard until I start really healing (on day 5).
Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went through an entire Jumbo Sized bag of Reese Cups & ate a whole vanilla pudding pie in the first five day after I quit drinking. Good for you for sticking to fruit

Those feelings pass.

I can't really speak the the exhaustion because it turns out I've had mono for weeks so that's probably what caused mine.

The cravings and fogginess does go away however. I have almost 30 days and I don't think about drinking half as much as I did two weeks ago.

Treat yourself to some treats! You deserve it. Working out helped A TON. Every time I had a craving I ran and I'd get a natural high from that and be distracted from the craving. Plus it earned me some cals for all that chocolate lol
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sophia...thank you and so happy you found us too and are excited about your new life. It is a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself and there are so many wonderful people here who want to cheer you on.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I had that feeling I was told that low sodium V8 helps. It has to do with some nutrients you can get from the veg juice. I drank a small glass 2 times a day and it seemed to help. It may have been placebo effect, but I still got some good vitamins so I don't see any down side.