Notices

Vivitrol Shot

Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivitrol Shot

Does anyone have experience with the Vivitrol shot?? My boyfriend is going to receive it and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the shot. Pros? Cons?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My wife has gotten it. So far there has not been anything noticeable other than an upset stomach the first few days. The shot has been great so far.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Did it hurt?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Welcome VG. As far as I'm concerned, so far there is no magic bullet, magic pill, magic wand or magic shot to treat the addict mind. Is he going to be involved in a program of recovery? We do recover. Best wishes to both of you on your journey.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband went through a rapid detox, and at the end he had an injection of Naltrexone (aka vivitrol) and then he had another injection the following month. He had no problems with it. Slight nausea, little tired maybe for a few days but that was all. He felt it reduced cravings, and many people say that just knowing you cannot get high (from opiates) while on this; makes it easier to stop thinking about it.

My husband only took it those two times; he was in non 12 step rehab after detox, and had the second injection while there. Then he decided to stop then because he was getting lots of counseling and thought it would be enough for him.

He is 8+ months clean.

Good luck to you both.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i've taken the shot twice since leaving a 30 in pt program. in meetings i hear other describe intense cravings. i can honestly say that i have not had any cravings. just fleeting thoughts sometimes. it maybe the shot or maybe not. to me the shot combined with a program is a god send. i know there is not a magic bullet but any layer of protection i can get cant hurt. to me the shot is great. your pal in recovery... Wes...