Notices

Unpositive Help

Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unpositive Help

So I've been sober for one week today. What I am going to write is hard for me to write but it really upset me.

I took the plunge and visited another recovery site, which required payment. I asked some questions and was promptly flamed. I wasn't being nasty or confrontational but simply was confused by their terminology and the way they phrased their recovery languare.

Instead of answering my questions, I was met with a hectoring tone, sarcasm and what I perceived as a snide response. My questions for the most part, remained unanswered.

I was so angry I couldn't sleep last night. The response I received did not cause me to drink -- I am still sober -- it only reinforced my resolve but it certainly soured me on some so-called "experts."

I decided to post this here because I really need some support, I am a newbie and wanted to get if off my chest.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That's crazy.. but maybe the silver lining is that it prevented you from being part of a crappy recovery forum. This one's the best
Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry emu, that won't happen here. What are the questions?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would be unhappy to. Anyone new to recovery has a zillion questions. SR is free and welcoming stick with it. Chalk it up to a learning experience and let it go. At least you know what not to do.

I think it was Thomas Edison that said, "I have never failed. I just know 1000 ways not to do it."
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will find positive support here, always, and SR has always been free and will continue to be free.

What kind of questions do you have?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The questions were more related to their methodology and the concepts they use to explain urges and addiction. I was having a problem with the concepts. As I lay in bed last night re-reading some of their responses in my mind, the only thing I could think of was:

Dry-Drunks.

That's all I could come up with as to why someone would respond in the manner they did. Too bad I can't get my $$ back.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ask away. we are here to help.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

That is terrible.. I'm sorry that happened to you, especially during a fragile time, but as the others have said as well, you're here now!! This has been a loving kind place for me so far, and I hope you have the same experience.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

if it's been only one day, can't you just stop payment on your credit card?

I'm sorry to hear about sites that operate that way.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A recovery site where you have to pay? Never heard of such a thing. No one here is a medical or psychiatric professional (to my knowledge). We're just people fighting a common problem sharing our experiences. I felt welcome right away, and I welcome you. I've only been here a week or so, but it's been a godsend.

Your experience with the pay site reminds me of Scientology. If you sneeze the wrong way they'll say you've got the wrong attitude and you have to "get clear."
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I bet you can get your money back! I'd definitely pursue that. Glad you found your way to SR-it's a great place for support and information and questions are always welcome. Good luck on the start of your recovery journey!!