Notices

Over 100 hours now sober: What now?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over 100 hours now sober: What now?

Okay, I managed to get to 100 hours sober. Not craving, and got by with a little shaky hands and rapid heartbeat. Yesterday was rough, birthday parties(several, my family does them all by month, so several)... And I was questioned, "Why don't you want any wine or vodka?" Ummm, what is this high school? I don't have to tell anyone/everyone about me no longer drinking, Why should it even be questioned? I was seriously pissed about it... I know I was only drinking for a couple of years, but I had a problem! A pint a night of vodka was making me blackout, falling down with bruises... No thank you.... I can't say that way later on down the line that I won't moderate myself, I do believe I can later on.. Right now, I want to focus on being the best mother and wife I can be, and get my old self back. Everyone else was drinking as well at the b-day parties, I didn't care, and I didn't crave.... I just thought it was so crappy to be questioned. I can say, these past 4 days with me not being drunk has been amazing. I love my girls, and my husband. I'm doing this for me, and for my family! Good luck to all of you! I read all the threads, and whether I comment or not, I'm always cheering you on!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

200 hours!

No, you needn't explain yourself to anyone. You are doing what you need to help yourself to feel like you. No one else can know your internal workings.

Keep on with doing what you know is right for you and yours.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

It's irritating to be questioned about why you're not drinking but perhaps it's just another sign (that you didn't really need) about how out of control your drinking had gotten. Congrats on pulling through! Now that you're feeling physically better it's a good time to start coming up with a solid plan on how you're going to move forward. Many people use a program like AA. There are other recovery plans out there as well you can investigate. Sobriety isn't all about not drinking. It's about living in the world with sobriety. Start looking onto this and comming up with a plan and how you're going to move forward.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

You did a good job by not drinking at the party! The longer you stay sober, the more people will realize that you are serious about it. Just keep it up and eventually the comments will go away. When I first got sober again people would call me asking me if I wanted to buy drugs. It only took a few times of me saying no for them to get the hint. It would've aggravated me too if people kept asking me why I wasn't drinking. It's because I don't want to. That's why! Also because if I do there will be nothing but trouble! I have proved that to myself time and time again! Like someone else said- you should come up with a plan. There are many recovery programs to help you live sober. Also, maybe look into some kind of therapy.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Taramaree. Great job, keep it up.

I personally have friends who almost do not drink at all. My best friend barely has one or two glasses of wine a month. So, people are just getting used to them not drinking and stop asking questions.

Good luck to you.