Notices

Losing everything

Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Losing everything

My drinking has caused me to lose the love of my life, my best friend, and the trust/respect of my family. Dealing with that grief sober has been the hardest thing. I miss my loved ones. What has helped others of you in dealing with loss?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Posting here and reading " Life is Goodbye, Life is Hello: Grieving Through all Kinds of Loss".
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

What helped me deal with the guilt and shame in early recovery, was the knowledge that I was taking responsibility for my life, for what I did and how I lived on a daily basis. I had to stop worrying about what others thought about me and how they judged me, and focus on what I knew to be true about myself.

Really, all you can do is to move forward and change your life with every thought and intention through your day. Journalling helped me a lot too.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I accepted early on that there was absolutely nothing that I could do to change anything that I had done in the past. Yesterday, with its mistakes and failures, is gone forever.
I realized the only thing I could do was to make the right choices today - and most importantly, to stay sober so that I could do the next right thing.
Also, think about the insanity of drinking. In two sentences, you have said that drinking caused you to lose everything - and it is hard not to drink over it! Break the cycle.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
I accepted early on that there was absolutely nothing that I could do to change anything that I had done in the past. Yesterday, with its mistakes and failures, is gone forever.
I realized the only thing I could do was to make the right choices today - and most importantly, to stay sober so that I could do the next right thing.
Also, think about the insanity of drinking. In two sentences, you have said that drinking caused you to lose everything - and it is hard not to drink over it! Break the cycle.
That was pretty profound. I do in my heart of hearts believe that I can make good decisions and there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I feel it's necessary to grieve when you've hurt someone. I'm just so used to numbing these feelings away- it's learning to feel again. And that's challenging.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Runnerbynature View Post
That was pretty profound. I do in my heart of hearts believe that I can make good decisions and there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I feel it's necessary to grieve when you've hurt someone. I'm just so used to numbing these feelings away- it's learning to feel again. And that's challenging.
you are correct, experiencing "feelings" is something many of us (who've been drinking for a while) forget about. so used to being numb, that emotions are almost new nowadays.

re-learning this will be challenging, but you really have two choices... continue on the same path, and continue losing ... until you really lose everything.
or make the choice to be sober and do it now.

we are often so afraid of the future and what this new life will bring, but from what i've seen here and my personal experience... life without booze becomes much more rewarding, joyful and fulfilling.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too lost everything while useing. But since I have been clean, I am slowly getting everything back, but it takes time!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I lost a lot of stuff, money, people, things. I had to pull myself up one day. I told myself to man up and move on because that is all in the past. I am only responsible for what is coming up next.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took some time to loose all
It will take some time to fix all