Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Friend was sent to Jail, Detoxed from Heroin, was released now just started weed.

Notices

Friend was sent to Jail, Detoxed from Heroin, was released now just started weed.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A friend of mine was a long time Heroin I.V user. He lost everything, the house, the car, the musical equipment, his Wife, everything. He was living on the streets, close to death. Got arrested, got clean in jail, attended AA, NA in Jail. Got out of Jail, after about a week he decided he can drink and Smoke weed. I invited him to attend meetings with me, but he thinks he could do it on his own. He started hanging out with old friends who smoke, drink and smoke lots of weed. Now he stopped returning my calls, I know I have to just let it go and let him do his thing, I am sad since he was given a second chance at life and he is throwing it away. I guess I need to go to Al Anon and learn to take care of myself and stop worrying about others.

It's just so hard to watch people go through the cycle of addiction and destroy they're lives in the process. It makes me realize, how precious I need to guard my own sobriety. Because there is a place for me at Skid Row just waiting for me to "slip" I intend to work as hard as I can to prevent needing to "Go down that road" There is not truth to the voice of Addiction, the tricky voice which tries to tempt me to "Get High" or to "drink" just one. It is all a lie and a illusion, it might make me "feel good" for a few hours, but in the long run, the destruction will FAR outweigh the few moments of "fun".

I am so happy to wake up sober and not hung over, I am so happy to not waste my money on drugs and alcohol. I am so happy to not wake up smelling like smoke. To each there own, but there are no Success stories with Crack, Heroin and Weed. The stories all eventually end in a sad and pitiful way. Eventually using drugs and drinking will come back to bite the hand that feeds it, sometimes quicker then we anticipate, but eventually it will happen.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said elsewhere here today, every mistake I made as an addict and alcoholic (along with every good decision) eventually bought me here, Seek.

I hope your friend has someone or something looking over him like I did.

I'll pray he'll find what you and I have - that he stops struggling against recovery, learns to go with it, and finds peace and a sober life he loves

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-16-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We are all interdependant (buddhism).
By helping yourself you are helping your friend.
I understand the pain tough.
Cultivating compassion about human suffering in general helped me a lot.