Notices

Party Tonight - Holding Myself Accountable

Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Party Tonight - Holding Myself Accountable

Tonight I have a bachelorette party. Thank you for all who responded to me about advice on how I should handle it on my last post! I have stayed sober at parties in the past when I was sober for a month, so I know that I can do it, but I have developed a plan too. I have talked to a couple of my closer friends about it and so I have a couple of ladies to support me tonight. I also figured I would drink something that looks like it could be alcohol so that I don't get questions from others (not ready for that yet). I also like the idea of holding myself accountable on here as well.

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
In my first week of not drinking (or around there). I was the DD for my husband when we went to a going away party. Alcohol on that night was a non issue for me. I was the driver. I think that it is really the person and what they think they are capable of. Its good to be aware of how vulnerable you can become and if it is detrimental. For me, it wasnt detrimental. I also posted on here that I was going and I posted when I got back. I was accountable for my night.
Not everyone is like this. Some may not be able to go to a party and not drink. Others can.
So tomorrow I will be back on here to let you know I stayed sober at the party!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you can do it!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Back home, safe and sound, still sober! I guess I am officially at 14 days since it is Sunday! IT WAS DIFFICULT! Some things went well, others did not. Two of my friends bailed, one of who was one of my safe people to help me out. So it ended up where the only person I knew was the bachelorette. Awkward! Most everyone else knew each other, so it was not the easiest situation. The party was at a house, not out at a bar. There was one point in which everyone was passing a champagne bottle around to toast the bride to be, each saying a little word and then taking a drink. I excused myself to the restroom hoping the would pass me before I got back... they did not. But the bachelorette helped get it past me without anyone noticing. I really appreciated that she did that, and told her so too. So glad I had the conversation with her beforehand.

So in my past, finding myself at a party not knowing anyone, I would have had A LOT to drink. I would have had so much that even if I would have talked to people I would not remember it the next time when I saw them at the wedding. I did talk to some people, really I guess they were the ones who were the most sober. I did have some good conversations with there people, but still felt a little out of place most of the night. I like the later better though. Instead of talking to people and not remembering, I talked to a few that were meaningful... now I need to work on not feeling out of place. I hope that will come with practice.

There were a few times, especially at the beginning of the night, that I really wanted a drink. I remember thinking, "you would feel so much more relaxed with just one drink". One drink.... yeah right. I held strong, that wine looked good though.

I feel pretty good. It was harder than I expected though, so mixed emotions. A good notch under my belt, I learned from it!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A couple people at the party threw up.... so glad not to be in their shoes, I remember doing that too many times!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

Did you have a good time?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Good for you Blondie! Sounds like your prior planning really helped smooth the way for a success for you. Events like that are a big challenge, but they will come up again and again so having a strategy is key.

Not throwing up, and remembering people, not making a fool of yourself-definitely reasons to feel good about being sober!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did I have a good time? Yes and no. I felt awkward not drinking, I hope I start to feel more comfortable with that going forward. I was happy for the bride to be, and was glad to be there for her.