Notices

Prayers for my brother

Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prayers for my brother

This title seems to suggest I should be posting in the family and friends section but I felt it more appropriate here. Both my parents are addicts and my little brother (now 27) is a heroin addict & alcoholic. He has been homeless for a long time. He reached out to me tonight asking for help to find a rehab. Usually he reaches out to yell at me in a black out about how screwed up he is because of our parents, how he never had a chance etc etc. Myself being functional, never really understood that. I believe he has a mental illness as well which has made things even more difficult for him. Either way, part of my drinking was due to wanting to be numb from the worry about my family members who are all still active and seemingly worse off than me as they have no jobs and live from place to place. Not placing blame at all. I dealt with my hurt & resentments by drinking rather than by using healthy coping skills. That is mine and I own that. After speaking with my brother or my father or mother I would drink harder and faster just to get some immediate peace. Tonight, I told him I would look for rehabs (he asked me to find one) and said I loved him and that life is so much better on this side, that he doesn't have to do this alone. And it felt good because now that I am sober I can be here to help him in a healthy way and if he really wants it this time, I can be there as a role model in recovery. Best part is, I didn't crave a drink. Not at all. Progress. Tonight I am praying for my brother...he has overdosed 3 times (twice his heart stopped). I truly believe this may be his last chance at recovery. I don't care who you pray too but if you can, please include him in yours tonight. Thanks ((hugs))
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for your brother, for you, and your family Quit

D
Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee
Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll be praying for all of you Quit.....How wonderful for you to be in a place where he sees hope in you...I pray that it stays that way....And you get as much out of those 12 steps as I did. Maybe you can take him to his first NA meeting.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers are out to you and your family.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Thank you for coming and posting this. I will definately send prayers for your brother and your continued sobriety..
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sending you all my best wishes and strength for you and your family quitforme79x
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. Means a lot to me. Sapling, he's out of state but he's been in the program before, just never worked the steps ( I didn't either in the past). I start this week & can't wait. I know that just like myself, he has to really want to live the sober life. Hopefully, he will follow through. ((Hugs))