Notices

Sober but feeling high

Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but feeling high

Hi
This might be a really weird question. I'm just over a month sober (was addicted to alcohol and painkillers), I'm taking day and nightnurse at the moment because I have a cold. I feel really really high after taking nightnurse last night. I've eaten, drank water, but still feel high. I checked the ingredients and it doesn't contain codeine which is what I was addicted to. I feel really guilty, but I took the medicine to help my cold. Does this mean I'm not sober now? According to the ingredients of what I took, I should be fine. I wonder if it mixed badly with the drugs the doctor prescribed to repair my liver.
Eeek! Sorry, panicking a bit because I'm trying so hard to stay sober!
Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Rubysoho,

I am glad that I am not the only one (in the village...community) that Night Nurse has the same effect on.

I rarely take any medication and the few times I have taken Night Nurse it takes me at least 24 hours to get over it!

It is also news to me that that was what being high feels like :> I just felt "not there" not with it :>

I am sure others have more wisdom than I have to share but as we all know on here, if you are worried give your surgery a ringx
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you should tallk with your doctor about any medication as long as you are taking something he prescribed for you.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Night Nurse contains Alcohol and must not be taken by Alcoholics.

You werent to know Rubysoho,we have to be so careful in Recovery what we are taking,so much stuff has the dreaded Alcohol in.

If you are worried talk to a Pharmacist and get some advice.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks guys! i'm not going to take it any more. I thought it would be safe because it's regular cold/flu medicine and not prescription. But it obviously doesn't agree with me. I think I'm better off just riding the cold out without any medicinal help. I haven't drank or taken drugs in over a month, so I'm quite sensitive to stuff at the moment.
I feel really silly for assuming it would be ok. Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heath480 does that include the tablet form? That's what i've been taking. That explains a not. Can I still count myself as sober? I don't think I could deal with starting from Day 1 again ;-(
Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've never even heard of it....Maybe it's a UK thing....I'm a big believer in Vitamin C.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rubysoho View Post
Heath480 does that include the tablet form? That's what i've been taking. That explains a not. Can I still count myself as sober? I don't think I could deal with starting from Day 1 again ;-(
You didn't take it to get high...That wasn't wasn't your intention...Now if you took it again today knowing what you know...I might take look at my sobriety date.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sapling, it is a simple cold remedy with Vitamin C and paracetamol. Children over 12 can take it...I am now wondering whether there is more to this Night Nurse than is in the small print?

I can't take it as it wipes me out for a day at least.

Not sure of the percentage of alcohol - maybe there is some other ingredient that can cause this "spaced out" effect?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Phew!! Just checked the boots website. and it's only the liquid version that has alcohol in it. THANK GOODNESS!!!! Phew!!! I was so worried I'd accidentally had some. Whatever is in the pills obviously doesn't agree with me so I'm going to knock those on the head. I don't want to do anything to compromise my sobriety.
I feel so relieved that I didn't take the liquid version.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Oh I didnt know it came in pill form,that is good news.

I have met a few Alcoholics in AA that drank Night Nurse.

I never knew about it or it would of been something I would have taken!

Wishing you well Rubysoho.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Phew!! Just checked the boots website. and it's only the liquid version that has alcohol in it. THANK GOODNESS!!!! Phew!!! I was so worried I'd accidentally had some. Whatever is in the pills obviously doesn't agree with me so I'm going to knock those on the head. I don't want to do anything to compromise my sobriety.
I feel so relieved that I didn't take the liquid version.
Even if you took the liquid and it did...If you take something unknowingly it shouldn't affect your sobriety date. I think it has to do more with your intention. Congrats on the time you have Rubysoho!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is rather worrying that some parents may be unknowingly giving their "over 12 year old" child the taste for alcohol with simple cold remedies...I can't imagine what effect a few capsules or a spoonful of Night Nurse may have done to me when I was 12.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cough mixtures are often abused.
They contain DXM and alcohol.
They give me horrendous palpatations.

A lot of cough and cold remedies have pseudoehepedrine in them.
This is abused as an appetite suppressant and gives an amphetamine like feeling.
Ask your pharmacisit for advice as most of the liquids/elixir contain alcohol and they can recommend alternatives.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I actually used to drink cough medicine when I was a teenager to get a buzz which is why I'm staying away from liquid medicine. I'm staying away from all liquid medicine in case of alcohol and anything that contains codeine. I double checked the pills I took and although they don't contain codeine upon further research they have codeine-like things in them. I feel so stupid for not checking this before, but I've taken these pills for years when I've had colds and never had a bad reaction to them.
I'm glad I don't have to start from day 1 again. I would honestly never taken them if I knew I would get high from them. Day and night nurse are going on my 'banned' list. I'm going to explore more natural remedies! Like vitamin C.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your not stupid, your amazing.
I'm stupid - but thats another story.

Perhaps we could have a thread for altenative buzz free cures and treatments for our ailments!

My nana would lead the way though she is 97 years old and lives alone and she is has a complete mistrust of modern medicines and doctors. She used to give me coldcabbage leaves for my boobies when I was breastfeeding bless her!!!

1.Chicken soup does have clinical evidence that it works in colds and flu.
2.Dotting a bit of vaseline inside your nose helps you stop inhaling bugs and germs and virus's.
3. Steaming rocks when you are bunged up and have congestion.
4. Clove oil, though it stinks, is flipping awesome for toothache.

Why do I have to write everything in numbered points and why do they always have to be made up of even numbers?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Sasha for those tips. I think that's a good idea, to keep a list of drug free cures. I woke up feeling really stupid, but happy that I didn't act on my urges to drink last night even though I thought it wouldn't make a difference if I had already 'slipped'. Deep down I know there is a difference between accidentally taking something, and intentionally setting out to get drunk.
I'm finding sobriety difficult and not a lot of fun (yet!) but I know i just need to stick this out and keep at it, then the good times will come.
Thanks everyone
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm finding sobriety difficult and not a lot of fun (yet!) but I know i just need to stick this out and keep at it, then the good times will come.
I don't think any of us would be doing it if it wasn't better...I know early on that may seem kind of crazy....But it is better.....More than I could have imagined.