Notices

Which Vitamins do you use and why?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Which Vitamins do you use and why?

Just curious what everyone else is using ( and WHY ) to help repair their bodies now they are sober

I use:

Vitamin D (sunshine drug! Not much Sun in the UK and apparently lots of Brits are deficient)
Magnesium - for anxiety
Vitamin B Complex - nerves
Omega 3 - for my brain
Berocca

I found that Berocca has the Magnesium in it and the B vits so I am going to carry on with them until they run out then switch back to my regular tables.

I love taking tablets (placebo probably LOL) and would be interested to hear about anything else!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take Kudzu Root, which is helping a lot with the anxiety. I also drink the low-calorie Fuzes... which have Chromium, a ton of Vitamin C and L-Carnitine. I also take L-Lysine and Vitamin D.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 8thPhoenix View Post
I take Kudzu Root, which is helping a lot with the anxiety. I also drink the low-calorie Fuzes... which have Chromium, a ton of Vitamin C and L-Carnitine. I also take L-Lysine and Vitamin D.
Interesting - the Kudzu root. A quick google shows in studies it reduced people wanting to binge drink.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Too many.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend folks see a Dr before taking supplements, especially if they're on other medication. I made myself sick once medicating myself.

These days I just take a multivit - if I remember...

D
Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Yeah me too, a multivitamin most days.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugarfix View Post
Interesting - the Kudzu root. A quick google shows in studies it reduced people wanting to binge drink.
I've read that kudzu causes the drinker to feel the effects of the alcohol more intensely, so that supposedly the drinker doesn't drink as much before feeling drunk. Not sure how that would work long term or for quitting entirely - or for a true alcoholic.

I tried it a while ago and did notice that I didn't want more than a few drinks but I also felt more tired than I normally feel. I didn't care for that feeling and it didn't make me want to not drink, I still had the brilliant idea to drink come Friday. I'd read some positive reviews of it though, so it seems like it works for some people.

Vits I take:
Omegas
B
+ 1 or 2 huge green drinks a day - fresh greens and apple juice in a blender (most days)
Old 09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Zee

I take 1 multi-vitamin a day with my breakfast
Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I always recommend folks see a Dr before taking supplements, especially if they're on other medication. I made myself sick once medicating myself.

These days I just take a multivit - if I remember...

D
I don't have insurance, so... the best I can do is read as much as I can, and stop taking anything if I don't feel like myself.

Originally Posted by yogachic View Post
I've read that kudzu causes the drinker to feel the effects of the alcohol more intensely, so that supposedly the drinker doesn't drink as much before feeling drunk. Not sure how that would work long term or for quitting entirely - or for a true alcoholic.
I started taking it the day I quit; wasn't sure what sort of effect it would have, but I'd read that it also helps the liver get back on track. I know that after I take it, the intense craving for alcohol has a softer edge than usual. And this feeling lasts for several hours.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

8thPhoenix, does it make you feel tired? What dosage do you use?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do believe strongly in Vitamin B Complex. For me, it makes a difference, and I have talked to my dr about it.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lol I take lots. I started this regime a couple weeks before I quit (when I was trying unsuccessfully to taper). Dont know how much it helped when I was drinking cuz I always was tired and felt crummy, but now I feel great. Im also eating WAY healthier. I actually did run these by my dr.!
Anyway....
Calcium
Vit B complex
Milk thistle for liver repair
Alaskan wild salmon omega-3 fatty acids
Vit C
Multi vitamin/mineral/amino acid supplement
Astaxanthin (antioxidant)
Coenzyme Q10
Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i understand that most alcoholics are deficient in Folic Acid so i take that in addition to my multi-vitamin. both times i was in rehab they put me on extra Folic Acid so i figure might as well stick with it. i also take extra iron, being a woman and all. last time i went to donate blood the lady who took my sample actually remarked that my iron was at the top of the chart! no deficiency there!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take chelated iron capsule 3X a week, along with multi, calcium and 2500 extra D, green tea capsule in the AM, SAM-e and SJW....at night I take L theanine, amino acids, 5-HTP and Ltyrptophan...which i just started....(eating too much food with it makes sense too but the calories are high).

this is the first I remember actually sleeping 8 hours straight...i've always suffered from insomnia, which was another vicious cycle i got caught in with booze
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I take a multi that is high in D and in B vitamins, especially B-12, but has tons of other things in it. I also try to take omega 3s. I do the green smoothie thing sometimes, and get omegas from some hemp seeds blended in that, or from an algae-based DHA supplement if I'm not drinking a smoothie. I keep iron around to take if I feel tired. I'm mostly vegan (not entirely).
Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Question: I just started taking b-complex (in addition to b6 for my joints, vit c, and a Multi)...

Tonight I noticed my pee looks slightly tinged green (tmi sorry); nothing crazy, mind you, but I drink so much water my urine usually well, looks like water.

Am I seeing things?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I take potassium, magnesuim and calcium My major problem is sleep and muscle spasms. I have to admit I was an RN and learned about some of these (when I get sick, my potassium drops.

I do admit that my dr. is full aware of what I take and in agreement. I take them at night, and if I'm lucky I don't wake up with a major muscle cramp.

I strongly suggest that when taking anything, you consult with a dr. Some vitamins can do more harm than good, depending on your condition. I have a multi-vitamin but usually forget to take it So far, what I'm taking helps and is okay with my dr.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I highly recommend the book "Seven Weeks to Sobriety", it covers a lot about the nutritional aspect of alcoholism and recovery.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I take:
-Iron (had bloods taken about 3 months ago that indicated I was bordering on anaemic, Doctor's orders!)
-B-complex, Neurosurgeon advised taking that
-Milk thistle, for liver regeneration/detox
-Zinc, for hair, skin & nails. It has helped with all three
Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Centrum multi chewable.
*Vitamin B complex (sublingual).

I started taking B12 two years before I quit drinking, I know it had an effect in boosting my immune system; I had Common Warts on my hand since I was a boy (tried everything topical solution to rid them.. nothing worked.) after 4 months of taking b-12 they were gone. I was amazed that it help me beat the HPV, but was kinda ticked-off no one suggested it to me 25 years earlier. ... So I keep taking it.

(DB2012; I did not noticed my urine changing hue at all, but I was still a 'big-time' drunkerd when I began taking it.)