Notices

Anyone who can help me

Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone who can help me

i am not sure if i am an alcoholic or not but i thought u guys are best to access my current situation. first thing i noticed in all my friends is they call me drunkard.. i drink 4 days in a week but when i drink i drink till i drop. today i didnt drink so thought if someone can help me get rid of this habbit and help me further not touch alcohol please help me.. as soon as it bcomes evening i feel like drinking. i have joined gym as well and i go everyday. but as soon as gym gets over i feel the urge to drink and i drink ..... i do all stupid stuff after drinking. i lost few friends and few girl friends as well... i was a model before but now i am fat ugly someone please help give some suggestions how to get rid of it.... but i am sure that i am much better than before as i have got some self control.... but need support to continue this all suggestions welcome and thanks for all the help
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

No one, but you, can decide if you're an alcoholic or not.

Is alcohol causing problems in your life? It sounds like it is. Do you want to stop drinking? If so, there is a lot of support here.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR harsh....I didn't have a lot of problems answering this question myself....I didn't have any question about it. In AA they ask these two questions...Simple yes or no answers...If you answer one yes you are probably alcoholic....Notice the word probably...Only you can decide if you are or aren't. I answered both yes. I couldn't quit entirely (Completely for good)....And once I started I had no control.

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.

My solution was the 12 steps of AA. Glad to have you here.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks...yeah it is and that is why i am here just wanna get rid of it completely.... some help how to stop that crave.... i have landed myself into so many problems.. be it relationship's, job etc i have done so much stupid stuff after drinking that i feel if i did after getting up in the morning. i dont drink to enjoy but i drink to get drunk know its me who gotta help but how? how to stop that crave? i dont wanna take any medicine or visit a doctor but take help from people first. few suggestions would be good....
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try an AA meeting...Just go and listen...Be around some people that are doing it.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks dear.. there my AA result goes

Your Results

Yes No
11 1
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by harsh View Post
thanks dear.. there my AA result goes

Your Results

Yes No
11 1
Not sure I get that.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It says i am alcoholic wherein i answered yes to 11 questions of 12 yeah i checked out the meeting time for AA in my city and got the contact person details as well.... thanks will keep you guys posted on my recovery and progress
Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beautiful...I don't even know where that is and it looks like you have some good AA there. This is a great site for support...Don't be a stranger.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

try going to AA step 1 is the best
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, harsh!

Glad you're here! I used to think of alcoholics as homeless, 24/7 drinkers, but that's really only a very small percentage. I never lost a job, got a DUI, or had a relationship problem due to drinking. Like you, one drink meant another 5 or 10 almost every time.

I learned a lot of ways to deal with the cravings by reading here and on the internet. The good news is that it gets better, so the urges won't always be this intense. I never thought I'd say it, but life is SO much better sober.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Harsh - let us know how the meeting goes

D
Old 09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

After reading a lot I realize that I'm not an alcoholic...

BUT that doesn't mean that I don't have a big problem with alcohol. Alcohol had begun to take over my weekend and it was costing a lot of self-esteem, money, time, health, etc etc etc! And I wanted to change enough to come online and research how to quit.. then found this site and have found the people and information here very enlightening and wise and helpful and caring. Best luck to you!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome to SR, harsh! AA is a great place to go. another thing you should start doing is learning to replace your drinking habit with sober habits. what are you going to do when you would usually be drinking? for me, that was a lot of time to occupy but i'd let a lot of things slip so much of that time could pretty easily be filled up. posting here and reading here was (and is) a great help. this is an awesome place for encouragement and it really keeps you grounded. when you want to drink, you've always got to weigh it in your head what it's going to mean to you. is drinking now worth the misery your going to feel when your drinking is done? are you really content to keep spinning your wheels in place or are you willing to do what needs to be done to make that forward progress? make the hard choice and don't drink. come here, go to a meeting, read, exercise, eat a snack...do something for yourself but don't drink and don't sit and stew through a craving. break your old habits and start a new lifestyle. one that doesn't revolve around alcohol. the longer you're in that lifestyle, the more it becomes just what you do. but you have to do it every day and you have to work at it every day. sobriety doesn't just happen. keep reading and posting. it's great to have you here! you're a part of a big group and we stay sober by sticking together. congrats on making the big decision and remember, you're worthy of a fulfilling, sober life.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yogachic View Post
After reading a lot I realize that I'm not an alcoholic...

BUT that doesn't mean that I don't have a big problem with alcohol. Alcohol had begun to take over my weekend and it was costing a lot of self-esteem, money, time, health, etc etc etc!
I don't know yogachic...Call it what you want...That looks like enough reasons to give it up for good to me.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you are gonna try AA. Something amazing has happened for me since I joined 4+ years ago. Not only am I sober, but I am happy and useful too! We get so much more out of AA than just not drinking anymore. Wouldnt trade this life for the world.
Best wishes to you.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I don't know yogachic...Call it what you want...That looks like enough reasons to give it up for good to me.
Yeah, definitely. That's why I'm here and doing work on myself. I know a few alcoholics IRL and after reading stories here, I just don't think it's right for me to claim to be an alcoholic. I don't have the enormous struggle that many seem to have to live with, my body doesn't physically need to drink, I can stop after 6-8 drinks and I don't want any more than that. I've never had to suffer a withdrawal, etc.

My over drinking was becoming problematic and I am stopping that behavior... it is something I can let go of with enough willpower and distraction and building positive habits and projects. I just felt like kind of an ass being all "I'm an alcoholic" when I have not had to suffer the challenges that alcoholics live with daily. Whether or not I could become an alcoholic with more years and a lot heavier drinking, sure, probably! I'm not yet physically addicted to alcohol. I'm changing things with my problematic over-drinking now so I can hopefully avoid any further pain. I see the warning signs and am paying attention now.

When I wrote my first post on harsh's thread, I was trying to say that either way, true alcoholic or not - it could be good to stop with the excessive drinking. Glad to hear that you're going to get help, harsh. Best luck to you!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yogachic View Post
I don't have the enormous struggle that many seem to have to live with, my body doesn't physically need to drink, I can stop after 6-8 drinks and I don't want any more than that. I've never had to suffer a withdrawal, etc.
You could add a "yet" to all of those.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ok, backing away now, lol
Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lol...