Does anyone else notice the smell?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone else notice the smell?

I work at a bank and I'm a few feet away from customers all day long. When certain ones come in I think to myself "They're an alcoholic!" because I can smell it seeping from their pores.

My nose has become so used to looking for that smell regarding XABF that I always notice it on anyone now.

I'm trying not to judge these people as maybe they just had a partying night but hopefully I can continue to notice it in the future so I won't put myself in my current situation again!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Oh boy, been there, done that...no judgement, when the smell reeks out of El Poopa Toros body....I must turn away!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yes. I can if I am standing in line or passing someone in a store or on a street. There is no other smell like that.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have forty-minute bus rides to and from work every weekday. I am intimately acquainted with that smell...as long as it's not in my house, I can take it!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I've had nearly 30 years with that smell. I can pick it up on anyone. I've gotten good at picking out the "had a long nighters" and the actual alcoholics. A's just have this sour smell to them, and their breath is like death. The long nighters typically just kinda smell like rum or whiskey or whatever, but you can tell it's not seeping out of their pores from constant abuse. Make sense?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes indeed! My AH used to smell so bad I would kick him out of the bed because I couldn't stand the smell! They definitely sweat out the alcohol & it has a distinctive smell.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was one of the reasons I requested my A move into a separate room. Couldn't stand the smell.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I'm amazed at how many parents at school functions I smell alcohol on. It's a LOT.

Sad.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I know what that smell FEELS like on the INSIDE.

Ugh. Never again.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Taking back what is mine!

I know it well, I hate going in the room that ABF slept in the night before. It's such a horrible musty sweaty smell.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The nose knows!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes...
when I first met my axbf he smelled like vodka, the smell came out of his pores and I swear he tasted like a chemical.

After being with me for a while he managed to cut down on his drinking but then started up again with a vengeance. We had two great years of him being healthy. The whole thing makes me depressed just thinking about it.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, that and cigarettes. I smoked for 7 years and when I quit I developed a serious sensitivity to the smell. I can smell it on people even if they hadn't had a cigarette for hours.

I remember having a drunk guy in college crash in our room during freshman year and he reeked of gin. That is one of the worst smells EVER! Smells like rotting leaves and fruit. Blech!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ah yes, the smell. It took me forever and a day to figure out why my AH smelled so bad all the time. Duh!
Red wine = a garlicky salami smell
Vodka = acetone chemical solvent kinda smell
Citrus vodka= fruity chemical smell.

Now AH and I don't even live together, haven't for over a year. He does not drink in front of me, yet I can pretty much tell what type of alcohol he's drunk recently and even quantity just by how he smells.

I now smell the booze-in-pores thing on other people all the time. It's like I have some sort of olfactory super powers. Lucky me, LOL.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh, yes...living with an A makes you hyper-sensitive to that smell! It's amazing how many people you can smell it on. I work in an IT support office for a prestigious business school, and I'm SHOCKED at how often I smell it on the students on a random weekday. I also HATE that there are hosted weekly Friday afternoon events at the school with alcohol - there is nothing quite like the combined smell of sweat & stale beer, YUCK!!