Notices

New to recovery!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery!

Hi everyone! I posted this in the alcoholism forum. A suggestion was made that I post here too, hence this was my long-winded post:

Hello everyone! First, I would like to say thank you to the posters on this forum. You all have been an inspiration to me. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has ever dealt with the issue of alcohol abuse. I have been drinking on the heavy side for approximately the past 15 years. From years 1-4, I was probably drinking a pint+ of bourbon (mixed with diet coke) about 3 days a week. From years 5-8, the frequency of my drinking increased to 4-5 times a week. Since 2006, I have drank a pint+ of bourbon 5-7 days a week. I never felt I 'had' to drink - I just enjoyed it. I like the taste and it makes you feel relaxed. I have always been very functional. Each day, I knew I had to quit drinking at a certain time and volume if I was going to be functional the next day. Rarely, if ever, was I not functional. In the back of my mind I knew I had to quit.

I tried moderating, but that never worked. As soon as I had one drink, it would lead to another and I would never break out of the pattern I had become accustomed to. I know drinking is taking a toll on my health. I've become paranoid in the sense that with every ailment I have, my first thought is that it was caused by my excessive alcohol intake. Within the past couple of years, I have developed psoriosis, gained weight, have wrist and ankle pain, have had one or two fungual infections, and it is not uncommon that I have a dullness where my liver is (not all the time). Hence, my health has become my motivation to quit.

I began this quest a few weeks back. Stayed sober for 11 days, then found a reason to have just one drink. Of course, that led to others (back to my pint+) and, next thing you know I was drinking 4 days in a row. Reality slapped me in the face and I realized I cannot ever drink any alcohol if I truely want to quit - which I do. I realize that I am truely powerless over alcohol, in the context that I know just one drink will lead to another. I have not had a drink since Labor Day (September 3).

I was hoping to have 30 days of sobriety under my belt before I make I doctors appointment to have a health assessment/checkup done, but I might go ahead and go this coming week. I know my doctor pretty well - it's going to be embarrasing to open up to him, but I know this is something I need to do to get healthy.

For what it is worth, I haven't experienced any 'detox' symptoms other than a very mild headache on about the 3rd day without alcohol. I've never had 'shakes', loss of appetite, or had a problem sleeping. Just this past week, I've been having a single nosebleed everyday. That could possibly be attributed to my wife running a de-humidifier in our house (dry air) and my taking ibuprofen (a blood thinner) for my ankle discomfort (which I have discontinued). Of course, my paranoia also says it could be related to alcohol withdrawls.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but that is my story for what it is worth. I am 100% committed to never drinking alcohol again and restoring my health to the best of my ability. I am confident I have the will power to make it happen. I am now fully aware of the negative consequences if I fail. And again, I thank you all for being here on this forum and encouraging people like me to get clean. God bless you all!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lynn!!....It's great to have you here!!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Lynn. I was (and am) the same. Once quit for two years all on my own. Then hit some stress in my life and figured a few drinks might help me to cope. Now I am back to basically grabbing some drinks every time I go out of the house. I function fine at work then leave and stop at the convenience store a block away for drinks. I don't get severely drunk but maintain a buzz whenever and wherever I can. It is slapping me in the face that I need to end this for good. We are in the same place and can do this with the help of everyone here.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to sr!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Lynn!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Lynn
You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lynne. Your decision to quit drinking and never to drink again is one you will be so glad you made. Congratulations. In case you do not know much about the first weeks and months of not drinking after prolonged use, you might find it helpful to read some of the links available on the site, about early weeks and then PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome). I did not know about these issues and have found it useful in understanding some of the persistent stuff that some people experience over the initial months.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lynn. It looks like you're ready to turn over a new leaf! Whatever path to sobriety you choose, this website can be a big part of it. Best wishes to you, ~b
Old 09-09-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again....

I replied to your first post in our Alcoholism Forum
and do hope you stay connected with us...

all my best to you and your wife as you explore sobriety
Old 09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lynn x