Notices

Dealing with emotions.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with emotions.

Good morning everyone, hope you are all well today.

Today is number 19 of being sober. I attend AA which I love and I believe that the support and the programme have saved my life.

I love being sober as I am remembering the things I love to do, don't wake up trembling and feeling awful etc. I have been proud of my 18 days so far.

However, at the weekend I was emotionally hurt by my husband (who still drinks) and this week, I have just wanted the feeling of oblivion that I used to get when drinking. I am finding dealing with emotions that I used to stuff into a bottle of gin, really, really, hard.

I've tried Step 3 handing over to my HP, but I'm so impatient for results, I get frustrated even more.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I needed to express this issue for me.

SP xx
Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't use AA so I can't give you advice with that but your post is very limited to what happen with your husband. I don't know if your husband has a problem with alcohol but it best to talk to him about your emotions and see if you can get it resolve. Get it out in the open and you will feel better. Don't let the mind run around with all different type of thoughts.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

It's all a process of healing. No one injures me today without my permission. ouch. Can you work through steps 4-7 with your sponsor? That is where the relief and freedom are! Have a Wonderful Sober Day Today!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Soulprint

I'm not in AA but I have learned that drinking myself into oblivion over things like that is like beating myself up for someone else's mistake....

Be proud you stood firm - the more sober time you gain and the more situations you face sober, the stronger your recovery will become

D
Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Soulprint

I've found dealing with emotions really hard too. It was so easy just to get drunk over everything, but it never really makes you feel any better. I also don't like sitting there waiting for things to get better... I always try and be rational with my emotions.. if I have a negative thought I always try and counter it with a positive. I try not to think in absolutes and try and focus on my strengths rather than my weaknesses. It isn't always easy but I feel better for even trying.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

aaaaaahhhh, emotions!! isnt it great to actually feel! even if it is negative it is progress!!
yes, there is a long road of reconstruction to come, but it will get easier. it takes T.I.M.E.
have you got a sponsor yet? phone numbers to call other women in recovery?

or you could start by sharing a lil more of whats up and what caused it and we can help ya with the solution.but dont be surprised if the solution involves lookin in the mirror.

we alcoholics are sensitive people. we have to learn how to get over that.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support and practical advice! Today is a new 24 hours and I feel more positive. Have an AA meeting tonight which I'm looking forward to. Yeah my sponsor has been great too. Day 20 today....