Hooray!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KRA

Hooray!

I've been waiting to get access to the apartment I shared with my xagf to get my stuff back since I walked out very suddenly and didn't get a chance to pack. I got access and she pretty much destroyed all my stuff which is what I expected.

I'd been holding off on buying new clothes because I wanted to see what I could salvage from the apartment, which is almost nothing. I'm not surprised, but wanted confirmation so I didn't needlessly spend $ on new stuff.

I was going to go to Marshall's to buy replacement stuff, but stopped in a thrift store on my way there just to check out what they had. I bought: a Brooks Brothers shirt, 2 Bananna Republic shirts, 2 JCrew shirts, a pair of Gap jeans, a pair of Bananna Republic jeans, and a pair of Lucky jeans for a total of $70. This stuff is all used, but looks good, and is better quality and brands than what my x destroyed. It's also cheaper than Marshall's and brings me way under budget of what I was going to spend.

I'm going to go back to the thrift store next paycheck and see if I can find some nice slacks and tee shirts.

When I can afford a place of my own, which won't be for at least a year, I'm going to buy my household goods there.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great! My best friend showed me a fantastic thrift shop not too far away which is run by a charity. Now I'm almost afraid to go there because I always find something I really need or really want (or suddenly decide I can't live without) for an extremely good price. I don't think we've ever managed to get out of there without buying something.

I'm worried that we may be starting a new addiction.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KRA

I can see how thrift stores could become addictive. My place had some good things. I almost didn't go in because it looked so crappy from the outside and when I first walked in. But once I started looking through the racks I realized they had great stuff.

I'm trying to be as frugal as possible so that I can have some $ stashed for emergencies in case something bad or unexpected happens. The breakup with my xagf nearly made me homeless. I came very close to having to live in a shelter.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that the breakup was so tough on you. Saving up a small emergency stash is always a good idea.

Many people are ashamed of the idea of going to thrift shops. I've never really understood that thinking. For me, thrift shops are always an adventure because you never know what you'll stumble across. They are simply younger versions of antique shops.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most of my favorite clothes come from thrift shops. No break in period, ya know!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love thrift shops! I hit one over the weekend & got 4 prs of capris, 4 tees/tanks & 2 purses for about $30. Definitely easy on my budget & it was all great name brands, gently used. My daughter & I have a lot of fun digging for bargains together!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, did you score!!! Also when looking for things to furnish an apt. don't forget to do yard/garage sales. You wouldn't believe some of the things that I found there. Some of them are actually looking to make a profit, but a lot of them just want the stuff gone, and will practically give it away. Welcome to the world of bargain shopping. Isn't it great !!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oooooh, I'm a thrifting addict. You can quickly get very good at spotting quality and quality brands.

I very highly recommend thrift stores for household items.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me too on thrift stores...and consignment shops...and garage sales! I also furnished my house that way. Good for you, KRA. Lousy that she did that though.