Notices

Food for thought about suboxone

Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Food for thought about suboxone

The facility I work at prescribes suboxone, so I started digging around the Substance Abuse department and asking questions. The therapist told me the three doctors on staff have lunch brought into them by the suboxone rep every week. They are now told to only prescribe the films instead of the pills-The sales pitch is they are safer, less likely to abuse, packaged better. In reality the pills are now generic and cheaper-and the company makes alot more money on the films. The therapists told me that most patients have been on subs since they started prescribing it a couple of years ago and basically its about money for the clinic. It's covered on our Medicaid forumulary after prior-authorization and it guarantees office visits, mandatory meetings and counseling, etc. The doctors tell patients its not addictive.-Cash paying patients (which are few) pay thousands for it and all the follow-ups.

I am not saying suboxone is that bad of a alternative-But it's all about the money-For the drug companies, for the doctors, for the clinics. Addiction is a multi-million dollar business.

I am a recovering opiate addict-I never used methadone or suboxone, but came close. Are we putting off the inevitable withdrawl with this medication? I do think if doctors write it responsibility (which is started out to be used only short term-like 4 weeks-but hey there is no money in that!) it can be a useful tool, but this has been eye opening seeing this from the other side.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Funny thing you mention this. I go to a non-profit clinic for my suboxone. My doctors are all strictly volunteer and are all retired. Nobody makes a dime off of this place. Our doctors prescribe subutex (generic) to basically EVERYONE except people whose insurance will cover films AND the patient can choose if they want the tablet or the film. EXCEPTION is that if you are on the Reckitt-Beckinser patient assistance program (pharm company) where the company gives you free meds, you have to get the film because that's all they'll give you for free. Which is what I am on.

But I digress, because the real reason I responded was because last time I went to my clinic, a pharm rep for Suboxone was there. She ordered a catered meal for the office staff. The Dr. in charge gave is to us in the lobby (patients) and announced loudly in front of the rep that te pharmaceutical rep for Suboxone was there and the company is pushing them to prescribe more of the suboxone film and then laughed and said that would never happen. Then he gave us (patients) the meal in front of her and made sure we were all full.

My point is that while a LOT of doctors are in it for the money... not all of them are. While clinics like your place of employment exist where they are wringing out everyone for every dollar... some places are still in it to help people, and not to make a quick buck off of a few hundred addicts.

It's sickening that the pharma companies are allowed to do that.. and that doctors fall right in line...
Old 09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I quit a job that compromised my ethics as a recovered alcoholic.

no it was not in the medical field but still...
it made me squirm when I said things I
knew were un true.

Last edited by CarolD; 09-02-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I don't deal with patients-I am behind the scenes-grant coordinator. Besides, I am a single Mom with three kids-I need the health benefits.

That's great that the doctor fed all the patients-Love it!-I know their are still some ethical compassionate physicians. It just shocked me when I found this information out Friday about the facility where I worked.