Notices

Day 1 again

Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Day 1 again

Hi all, not really good at these 1st posts.

I'm 31 and from the UK and found these message boards being nosey on google for help and advice.

I have been drinking since I was 14 years old, taking a break at 17, 19 and 24 when I was pregnant with my 3 sons.

I suffer with depression, my brother died when I was 11, I suffered with post natal depression, and when I thought I was sorting myself out, my mum died unexpectedly in December 2009.

I got arrested around 8 weeks ago, and handed a 12 week sentence suspended for 12 months, 12 months probation and 6 months alcohol treatment recovery,

I have my 1st womans group meeting tomorrow and I am really dreading it, I'm not a huge fan of groups as they scare me.

Today is day one again, but I am determined to do it this time, my last binge was about a week ago.

hope I haven't gone on too much, I have a habit of doing that lol

any way HI

Edited to add that I'm more of a problem drinker, drinking when life gets tough, used to be weekends, now its 5 days out of 7, wanted to get it back to weekends, but think I would be better off not touching alcohol at all.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think if you were arrested for drunk driving(I'm not sure), then it's probably not just a problem-drinker situation. And, for alcoholics, stopping drinking completely is the only way for peace and recovery.

I hope you will continue to read and post.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Hope you find the help and advice you seek.

Originally Posted by stormyclouds View Post
I have my 1st womans group meeting tomorrow and I am really dreading it, I'm not a huge fan of groups as they scare me.
Scare you more than jail? Embrace the meetings, it sounds like they can help you

I'm more of a problem drinker, drinking when life gets tough, used to be weekends, now its 5 days out of 7,
We are all just "problem drinkers" on day one. More insight will follow. So you drink five out of 7 days now? Either life is getting tougher, or the drinking is getting tougher to control.

Glad you are here.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scare you more than jail? Embrace the meetings, it sounds like they can help you
oh no no no, i don't think anything could scare me that much.

We are all just "problem drinkers" on day one. More insight will follow. So you drink five out of 7 days now? Either life is getting tougher, or the drinking is getting tougher to control.
The drinking is getting tougher to control.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

I think if you were arrested for drunk driving(I'm not sure), then it's probably not just a problem-drinker situation. And, for alcoholics, stopping drinking completely is the only way for peace and recovery.

I hope you will continue to read and post.
Hi no it wasn't drink driving.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find your life is much better without alcohol. I am so much happier and more relaxed. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on day 1 as well and I have the same type of pattern. I know that it's more than problem drinking for me as I go in and out of drinking on weekends or one day a week to drinking 5-7. I don't want to be a slave to alcohol anymore but it just sucks to think that I will never drink again. I'm not sure why this thought process is so scary to me and why I feel the need to keep alcohol in my life and "control it" when I would be much better off and more free without it. What is alcohol even bringing to the table that is all that great?
Anyway, best of luck to you. I'm heading to a meeting after work as well to get this started. I hope we both find our way.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I don't want to be a slave to alcohol anymore but it just sucks to think that I will never drink again. I'm not sure why this thought process is so scary to me and why I feel the need to keep alcohol in my life and "control it" when I would be much better off and more free without it. What is alcohol even bringing to the table that is all that great?
Anyway, best of luck to you. I'm heading to a meeting after work as well to get this started. I hope we both find our way.

I'm exactly the same, sit there wondering what I'm going to do differently if I'm not drinking any more.

Good luck to you too.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck to both of you...I can tell you there is a wonderful life out there without alcohol...And I felt the same way you did when I started.
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done stormyclouds (guessing that's what you've actually got above you right now if it's anything like Cambridge) and Janis. Keep up the great work!
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome, Janis.

Slave...describes my relationship with alcohol perfectly. Like you, I was tired of be a slave to alcohol. But I didn't realize how enslaved I was until I was free from the chains of addiction.

I hope your day one turns into many, many days of freedom and with it, the blessings of sobriety.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applecrumble View Post
Well done stormyclouds (guessing that's what you've actually got above you right now if it's anything like Cambridge) and Janis. Keep up the great work!
yep, looks like its gonna rain in Kent *sigh*
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well that wasnt so bad, Like i said I'm not a huge fan of groups, but it really wasnt as bad as i had thought.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good for you!

...it really wasnt as bad as i had thought.
Things rarely are as bad as we think they are...

...except for my drinking.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I will ditto most of what everyone else said. Day 1's and the beginning are tough. But there it can be your last day 1, if you truly want it..

As for never drinking again , I couldnt even imagine such a thing, till I gave it a real try.. And started in AA and since then I cant tell you how many things change . Mainly my thinking. You can learn not to project so far in the future, for its only today that you control.. So dont drink today and read and post here.

And please look into a group or system of quitting. I know I wouldnt be here without AA, nor now over a year later. I wouldnt want to be anywhere else.

You can be free its a bunch of tiny first and little things. Scary yea but no where near as scary as the alternitive.

It will always progressively get worse problem drinking is a problem. Dont get caught up on labels..

Good love, Inda
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello, Welcome to Sober Recovery. Hope you find the help and advice you seek.