Notices

well, he's off to work for 3 or 4 days

Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well, he's off to work for 3 or 4 days

Well, like the title says, the dh is off to work out of state for 3 or 4 days. this is great! I feel like i have a solid chance at putting some more days together. i will not drink while he is gone. i also will not have added stress from him.a friend cam over last night with a large bottle of wine and yep..... i drank with him. i wasnt strong enough to tell him no. ugh... i feel like a broken record. i have a million excuses why i did it, none why i couldnt say no. ughhh... onward ho! toaday is a new day, and in my books its the best day, cuz i feel like crap and have major regrets from drinking last night. im not going to beat myself up though. its done and over.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Chard,
Like the positive attitude! I haven't had a drink in a month and am still pi&&ed at myself for the damage I did last time I drank. I need to get over it, not forget it! Today's a new day, enjoy being sober today!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you... i used to drink daily... i decided to quit, went 5 days and drank, two more and drank and again two more and drank. wth am i doing? like i said, i feel like a broken record!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I have had to change person, places and things to get myself better for sure. If someone is a roadblock to my recovery I have to let them go. And unfortunately, I deal with strong abandonment issues from childhood and when my love one's leave for a few days-I can't say it doesn't bother me anymore-but I know who to place first place-ME, so I have to do those things that will only keep me sober, keep me sane and treat me well... good luck and keep up that positive attitude...
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well, i have to say, that dh traveling has done wonders for our marriage. he has been home for the last 3 weeks and im not gonna lie, its been hard. i like him here but i like him a lot more when we have a few days apart. he is the one person who complains when i drink and then when i dont drink, he offers it to me. i look forward to him not being here, i can deal with the kids and the house and the chores, without added stress like... why he isnt helping me out, why his friends are stopping over at dinner time, why he is such an overgrown child! lol seriously, the time apart makes me appreciate him and it will be good for me in getting a good start on this sobriety! i need the break!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chard, I know for myself this is a long journey. Deep down I've known for while i had issues with drinking, and generally ignored really dealing with it. I'm a horrible binge drinker, who would drin to black out once or twice month.. I'd stop for 3-6 months and tell myself I could stop an wasnt an alcoholic, even though deep down I knew. Ths all blew up
on me a month ago so I'm finally dealing with it... I simply can't drink again, ever. Guilt really is useless, so beating myself up(which im great at) isn't helpful. Gotta make sure we have a strong plan to be sober today...
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Chard,
I don't know why you do it either but you can't blame your husband for the drinking, it's up to you to find better ways to cope with stress and take charge of your life. You need to learn some refusal skills and just say "No I am not drinking" I know it's hard and I wish you luck.

-z
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh ziggy, i am not blaming him at all, i am simply stating that i am looking forward to the next few days, to have a few less stressors. i will do this!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do your family and friends know you decided to get sober ?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes, well most of them, this friend in particular did not know, until i told him while i was drinking wine with him.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chard,
My friends and family have been much more supportive than I imagined. I know this is a different experience for each individual and each freindship, but I've been to dinner and a party or two. So far, I've given the basic " I'm having some issues with alchohol and am not drinking", no one has pushed the conversion any further. Some close to me have asked if I'm ok with them drinking, which I said was fine, and we were on to talking about how horrible the red sox are!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sobriety has to be #1 in your life for it to work.

Just like candi7 said above, I too had to eliminate people/places/situations that typically would result in me drinking...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe it's time to make some new friends...or, be careful about who you invite to your house.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

yeah, totally agree on that too... he showed up unexpected, leaving a party. like i said in another post, i have the tools, just forget to use them.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Chardonnay,
Just saying I am going to quit was not enough for me to stay quit, i needed a program. I use AA and SR. I strongly suggest you get a program.
All the best
Love
caiHong