Notices

Get Well Jobs

Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Get Well Jobs

Hello Everybody,

I used to work for a government employer where I worked for ten years. Unfortunately, alcohol got into my way and I lost my job because of my drinking. I also picked up two DUIs during the process. I was paying $70,000 a year at my last job

I am trying to get a retail job as "Get Well" job. I just want to work part-time for a while so I can get my recovery back into gear. I really do not have good references from my last employer.

Has anybody got a "Get Well" job after getting sober? Did you get a low-paying job to focus on your recovery instead of having high stress job? Did you have any bad references and how do you overcome it? The other issue is that I have two DUIs that are hurdles to get a job.

What should I do? I feel that I am going to hard time to get a job because (i) I am overqualified, (ii) have bad references, and (iii) I have two DUIs that occured within three months of each other. I feel that I am screwed.

Sincerely,

Crisco
Old 08-19-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I worked retail for a while and some administrative jobs. Retail didn't need too much, but they don't keep you long (when you get close to getting benefits, they let you go, at least Kohl's does that). Try, interview well, you may just get that job! Try small shops, Kohl's, Target, Sears, something close. If you have any references, use them, even if they are friends and not employers.

I have no experience with DUI's, sorry.

I wish you well!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe try a temp service?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Local nursery (plants)....local veggie farm, landscape help.... Does your nearest health club need a desk clerk (free membership), nearest health food store ( healthy food and learning environment especially in the vitamins and herbs) Barista ( coffee slinger) .......
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your not screwed. Turn a new leaf over. This might be a different direction in your life. I know its easier said than done.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As far as I know for references, the only information an employer is allowed by law is the start and end dates of a person who has worked for them. They sometimes dont obey this but I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Crisco . Don't sell yourself short. Low paying jobs can be exceedingly stressful anyhow, and you don't have the satisfaction of the extra cash. Not having money is very stressful. Any work is good though & be proud of whatever you end up doing.
Regarding references, some of that does depend on your personal relationship with your former employer. You may be able to give them a heads up that you are searching for work & see if they will shine a good light on you.
I can't see how the DWI's could be anyone's business unless the new job involved delivery/any driving.