Notices

Hi, this is me

Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, this is me

Hi all, My name is Eric, I've browsed the forum here on and off the past couple months and decided it was time to join. Im here because I wanna get better and I need advice from those who struggled with addictions and got clean.

I've struggled with various addictions for the past 3 years, most recently cocaine but also various opiates. Its been a struggle to get clean and I dont really have a very strong support base so I figured Sober Recovery might help me at least a little bit. I never thought I would get to this point, I always thought I could keep things under control but now I know I was just in denial.

What started out as just messing around with Marijuana and Alcohol turned into me barely being able to go a few hours without my pills. I tried rehab and was clean for months but recently I had a relapse. This made me realize I cant do this alone and that I need help doing this.

Im hoping I made the right choice joining here and that it will help me on my road to recovery.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Eric,
Welcome. You made a great decision to post because there are many people on this site who can help. I had an alcohol problem that had brought me to the point of not wanting to live anymore. The wonderful people on this site helped me find my way and I am now 3 months without drinking and life is much better. Having a good support group is the key to my recovery and SR fills this role.

There is another forum further down for substance abuse that may help you more once you are on your path. This newcomers thread is the busiest and you will get a lot of support here.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR dwill11293....I think online support is wonderful....I know for myself I needed some face to face support....To hold myself accountable...As well as I like to interact with people. I'm not sure what your feelings about AA and NA are...But if you are open to it....It's worth looking into. Glad you are here.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im new to this forum too .but us addicts has atleast one thing in common// i truely hope you stay sober and enjoi life ..///
Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi dwill, and welcome to SR

I don't think any of us intend to end up in where we end up, but to get out we have to make a series of conscious, deliberate and different choices.

Joining SR was your first good choice on the way out of the hole...

See you on the boards....
Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome to SR
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic and I had to go to AA meetings, there I found a huge amount of support from people who walked in my shoes and I have a sponsor.. There is NA too, but AA will help with both-it's just so good to work a program like this and having a sponsor has been what has gotten me through so much. I've been Homeless, Jobless, Carless, then got a job, then losing relationships and back to joblessness-This sponsor is literally saving my live with the help of AA.. I've been at the brink of suicide and I've found hope for another day and have desire to see where this road will lead me.. Through all I have been through, I find something everyday worth living for and am finding myself in it all-finding a way to give myself some sympathy and love. Peace friend!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!