Notices

Procrastination

Old 08-14-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Procrastination

Ive been drinking for several years now and truely its all I do anymore, I put minimal effort into school and work, and only want to drink. I take antidepressants, mixing alcohol and antidepressants seems to be worsening my depression. I want to quit, but I cant A. stop the cravings. B. find something else to do that I enjoy. I have stopped riding my motorcycle, playing video games, I barely read anymore. My life has come to a hault revolved around drinking. I am not a violent drunk, but it was detrimental to my last relationship, she hated that I drank so much instead of spending time with her. ANY advice pertaining to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Alcohol is a depressant, so it does absolutely no good to take anti-depressants while using alcohol. You might as well take the money you spend on the AD and flush it down the toilet. I wish I had back the thousands of dollars I spent on anti-depressants while continuing to drink.

There are several programs out there to help you stop drinking. The first thing is getting you sober, which can be dangerous. The best thing to do would be to go to your doctor and be honest about your drinking habits and let them help you. You could also go to a medical detox facility for several days. They can make sure you detox safely. That is what I did and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Welcome to SR. If you want to quit drinking and seek recovery, you will find a lot of support here. We've all been where you are now, so we understand it isn't an easy decision to make. You can do it though. We have and we would love to help you do it, too.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive been drinking for a long time and when I was admitted to the hospital, I told them I was an alcoholic and they gave me diazepam to prevent DTs. Everytime I try to quit, I put it off til the next day, and the next day, and nothing gets done. The closest medical detox clinic is about 100 miles away from me. I would like to do it on my own if at all possible. I need to want to quit more than I already do. I enjoy drinking, but its detrimental to everything in my life. I have wasted countless months drinking when I could have learned a language or saved money or did homework, I have chose drinking over homework so many times that I have friends that started college the same time as me and have graduated with their bachelors and I have yet to attain my associates
Old 08-14-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If drinking is an option, you'll always choose it. Take drinking out of the equation, perhaps you'll find something to do.

Else you will sit around and mope about not drinking.

I put quitting off for 35 years. I reget putting it off so long because my life has never been better. You are making a wise choice if drinking is causing you grief.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I could find something that I enjoyed more than drinking, I cuold perhaps choose it over drinking. I dont do any of the things I used to, I have a motorcycle, I enjoy reading, video games but I always choose drinking, how do I take it out of the equation?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I would venture to say that many of us enjoyed drinking. None of us wanted to admit we had a real problem and we certainly didn't want to admit it to anyone else because that would mean we would be expected to actually do something about it.

You CAN stop drinking, but you have to really want it and you pretty much have to really want it more than anything else. Otherwise, it will be too easy to go back. You have a decision to make. You can continue on the way you are now, which will only get worse since alcoholism is progressive. Or, you can make a decision to improve your life by getting alcohol out of it, and then working on other issues. The choice is yours. We're here to support you.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That seems to be the problem, I need to learn to want to quit more than anything
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!