Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Hi all !

My name is Terry (aka teRENCE) an I'm an alcoholic. I am new here to this forum and I'm looking forward to reading, learning and sharing my experiences with others. I just got out of detox a couple weeks ago. This was my 3rd detox this year - 1 in February, 1 in June and 1 in July. I had 2 other detoxes since 2010, so that's a total of 5. In February I lost my job for the 1st time in my life due to alcohol. I was out for 3 days and confided in my boss what I was going through and would be back the next day. I got a call that day saying I was done. I immediately went to detox. Within 3 weeks of losing that job, I got a position back at a company I used to work for. Since I started there in March, I have been out for 3 different weeks due to alcohol. Fortunately for me, I have a boss and coworkers that support me and told me to do what it takes to get better and return to work.
When I got out of my June detox stint, I was in a hurry to get back to work. I didn't want to take the time to have to get in an IOP program and have to leave work early for it etc.. My priority was getting back to work. I continued drinking and it got worse and worse. I finally came to the realization that I needed to put the priority on my myself and my addiction. After all, I would not have a job anyway if I continued to drink. I decided I would do everything I had to to get rid of this "curse".
I started an IOP program a couple weeks ago - Mon-Thurs, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM (4 weeks). This will be followed by 10 weeks of Mondays 6:00 - 8:00 PM. I am now doing what I need to do. I realize that I must stay aware of my addiction by attending meetings every week so that I don't lose sight. I stayed sober for 7 months a few years ago by doing it on my own, but I know I can't just do it on my own. I am back to work and still respected - somehow I know that's not the case in everybody's situation, but I'm grateful that people at work understand. Hopefully I can do it this time.

Terry
Old 08-14-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Terry.

Yes, Sobriety has to become your #1 priority in order to succeed.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here. Not sure what an IOP program is, but from what you said, I think it's some sort of recovery program. The world is changing. The disease of alcoholism is slowly losing the moral stigmas, and being looked at more as the disease it is. Lots (not all unfortunately) of companies and corporations world wide are starting to let their people get treatment, rather than lose some good people.

For me, without AA, I'd have absolutely nothing.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Fred. IOP is Intensive Outpatient Program
Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

It's great to know that you have support at work. Congratulations on your sober time so far.

You're definitely not alone now you've found SR. Stick around and post often, it really helps.

All the best to you.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Terry Glad you're getting the right help x
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Rence!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We know you can do it this time! You don't have to ever go back to that miserable and unpredictable place. Glad you have co-workers who understand.