Notices

visits with kids

Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

visits with kids

My AH currently has supervised visits with our kids, ages 2 and 4. He's been on methadone for 2 weeks. He wants me to think about letting him have unsupervised visits. I'm really not comfortable with this but I also have no experience with methadone. Also, should he be driving with the kids (and the other adult supervisor)? I don't think he should....especially since I found out that if someone is pulled over after leaving the methadone clinic, they can get a DUI. If that's the case, they certainly should not be driving kids around.
I appreciate comments both for and against supervised visits in this situation. I'm leaning towards keeping them supervised for a few months but I just don't know if I'm being "fair" or "unreasonable."
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went through several months of supervised visits with my children before I got custody back, and I have to be honest and say that the only time I resented the supervision is when I had something to hide. Once I was in recovery and working a program, I had no issue with the supervision. I understood I had messed up and I needed to prove myself, I was happy to do it, as all I wanted was to show that I had changed. I'm not saying this is how your children's father should feel this is only my experience.

As for the methadone, it's not the only drug that's handed out that you can be considered DUI for. That being said, without a doubt when I was in methadone maintenance treatment, I was high. I was on a rediculously high dose for my weight and if I got still I nodded out. I wasn't taking benzos or anything on top just the methadone. It really depends on the individual as to how they metabolize the dose and things like that. Perhaps you could speak with the people who supervise the visits and see if he appears to be under the influence during the visits.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was on methadone, and a low dose at that, I was high. High enough to almost nod out at times. Also, a friend of mine got in accident after leaving the methadone clinic, she had just dosed and nodded off in traffic.

IMO, he JUST started MMT, he has along way to go to get his life and thinking back on track. MMT, as well as subs and other treatment, isn't a magical cure. he still has work to do, alot. He is newly off the opiates. If it was me, I would keep the supervised for a bit longer. He needs time to get his brain back on track. And personally, I love the methadone. It got me higher for longer than the oxy. That is one big reason I can't use it for recovery. So yeah, IMO, keep those visits supervised until he has had more time to prove himself.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I am afraid he'd doze off while with the babies (thus leaving the kids unsupervised) or even worse, while driving with them. I also talked to my children's pediatrician as well as another physician and they also both advised to keep him supervised longer.

He's on 60/day and he's about 6'2" and weighs a little over 220.