Notices

Day 1

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Greetings Community!
Day 1 here....I got first got sober at 33, and lasted 16 years. Took it up again but now at 60, fear that I've really screwed my health up, possibly for good. For the last year or so I've had balance, gait issues, and have been diagnosed with ataxia by a neurologist. Even after finding this out, I've continued to drink. Last night, after spending the whole day researching ataxia, I decided that it's crazy to keep destroying myself. My only hope is to stop drinking.

So, here I am on Day 1. The damage is likely permanent, but I hope that by getting sober, I can at least prevent it from getting worse. If any of you have alcoholic ataxia, I'd really like to hear your experiences, especially after getting sober. Thanks for being here, folks.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I think so, I noticed my memory became worse and worse and my coordination even when sober. I also used to get jumpy and see things out of the corners of my eyes and get startled frequently. I am not sure if that is part of it. I am a lot better now, but I am younger.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

My BF started joking that I was clumsy, but growing up I was really coordinated and played a lot of sports. But , like I said, I am better after only 9 weeks sober.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR it's good to have you here. You'll find much support and understanding here.

I don't know anything about ataxia I'm afraid, but I can say that since I've been sober my life has improved dramatically - I am physically and mentally in better shape than I've ever been. I've only been sober four months. But, of course, you probably know all that if you've been sober 16 years. That's an amazing achievement... you can get all that back. Wishing you all the best.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome FarmDiva...It's a great site for support....I'm glad you are here and that you're making a great decision!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Did a search on this site for ataxia, and the only reference I found was under the definition of wet brain. Looked it up on youtube, and found a demonstration of ataxia, with extreme lurching and staggering. My case, while disturbing, is much more mild, thank goodness, and I still hope for improvement from it with the elimination of alcohol.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Farm Diva!

I am about your age. I was sober for years, drank, sober again for years, drank, and now I am sober for one year. One of the many catalysts that I had to quit drinking was the fact that the last year I drank I kept falling....as in falling so hard a couple of times that I still have lumps on my head from the falls, and I got black eyes from two of them! Heck, I was beginning to fall even when I was sober....I had lost my sense of balance. Since I live alone I became really concerned. The good news is that when I stopped drinking I have not fallen once. I don't have ataxia, and I don't know anything about it, but regardless of what the diagnosis is, stopping drinking will help. Best wishes to you - please keep reading and posting. This forum has been invaluable to me. Take care.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, FarmDiva. Lose the booze, and you will be soooo pleased with the changes you experience. I can't wait to hear how well you are doing. Keep posting, ok?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome FarmDiva (great name). I was older, too, when I finally laid it down for good. I was a wreck in every way. None of my problems continued after I quit, though. It took a few months. You might be surprised at how resilient your body is. I'm glad you're under a doctor's care.

Congratulations on making this huge decision. You can have a wonderful new life.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again and welcome FarmDiva

I don't know anything about alcoholic ataxia I'm afraid - are you continuing to see a professional about it?

D