Notices

Newly Sober

Old 08-11-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly Sober

Hey everyone ... I finally hit my rock bottom and decided enough was enough. Today is going to be the day that I take back control of my life. I just know that I can't do it alone ... And I'm going back and forth today between feeling anxious and feeling guilty. I'm not sure how to deal with this. Any advice?? What was it like when you first quit?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi FCErikaMc,
It was a bit of a roller coaster ride for the first couple of weeks, i think i also slept for a month all weekend and evenings after work .
Having regular long cool showers and sleeping lots seemed to help , as a drunk i only ever passed out for 6 hrs before going to work and then starting the drinking over as soon as i got home, no wonder i was tired and a bit random .

Bestwishes on your journey, M
Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being anxious is normal and I dealt with it as well. Something that worked for me in the beginning was getting back to the gym and just reading books. Those activities stimulated my mind and body and kept the anxiety in check til I got past it. I returned to my faith as well. Praying for forgiveness helped with the guilt. It passed quickly as well. I wish you the best.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FCErikaMc View Post
Hey everyone ... I finally hit my rock bottom and decided enough was enough. Today is going to be the day that I take back control of my life. I just know that I can't do it alone ... And I'm going back and forth today between feeling anxious and feeling guilty. I'm not sure how to deal with this. Any advice?? What was it like when you first quit?
I suggest you Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify...

I took back control of my life by surrendering it as best I could to Alcoholics Anonymous.
Me managing my life is what ended me up in AA .. I needed a new manager.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm nervous to go to AA alone. I looked up and found several meetings nearby... I am scared to death to go! I have never been this big of a coward. I'm not having any urges to drink or anything like that, but I know that I should probably go be around these people and meet people like myself... But I am just so embarrassed!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome FCErikaMc

Feelings of guilt and anxiety are absolutely normal...it can be a rollercoaster ride for a little while...but you're not alone

Supports very important - whether you find it here, at AA, some other recovery programme or outlet or a mix...things will get easier

Welcome aboard
D
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FCErikaMc View Post
I'm nervous to go to AA alone. I looked up and found several meetings nearby... I am scared to death to go! I have never been this big of a coward. I'm not having any urges to drink or anything like that, but I know that I should probably go be around these people and meet people like myself... But I am just so embarrassed!
We all felt that way. 15 mins after you get in the door you'll feel right at home.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-11-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it. It's so nice to know that I'm not alone, even though I really feel it sometimes.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi FCErika. No, you're not alone anymore. We all understand and remember how it was when we first quit. I had every emotion imaginable. I was relieved to be quitting, but kept having flashbacks to bad times. I knew if I didn't stop with the negative thoughts I'd never be able to move forward and get well.

I hope you'll begin to feel calmer. Every day you should feel a little better. This is a great place for large doses of encouragement and hope. We're so glad you joined us.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh gosh, yes, I had flashbacks so much, it was really difficult. Shame, anxiety, guilt were all there. But, it does get better as time goes by and you will begin to feel pride in what you're doing.

There is lots of support here at SR, so keep posting.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't thank you enough, you guys are great. I really felt like I was alone in these feelings. Tonight is hard, but i will make it through tonight sober and wake tomorrow knowing that I made it through Day 1. For now though, I'm only focused on right now... It's kind of making me feel selfish.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This place is great. Take care.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EFC

Truly wanting to quit is the most important part, and you seem to have that desire. Remember why you have that desire.