Notices

a new experience.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a new experience.

im starting to see things differently now that ive been sober for over a week, things are much clearer, life is better and im starting to learn about life. Life can be hectic and at times it feels like everything is falling down and it's scary because ive start loosing people, to addictions, illness, and even to someone else; i have no control over it. i cant make someone fall in love with me forever, just as people can't live forever, eventually everything comes to an end. Feelings begin to fade; people become ill. There are things that happen because they are going to happen. But we have to have hope and remember that everything happens for a reason. Life keeps going it doesn't wait for any one , we have to be able to pick up the pieces and move on.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree - just getting sober made everything clearer and I felt like I started connecting with myself again. I don't think I even realized how much effort it was taking just to get through the day with the depression and anxiety I had from drinking.

Thanks for the insights and congrats on your week sober!!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I had heard about an alcoholic fog, and it wasn't until a couple of weeks after my last drink that I understood what the term means. Even small things now can get my attention - it's like I don't want to miss anything anymore.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Hang in there. I found my emotions became much more stable after a few months. Early on I would get waves of all sorts of things from euphoria to despair. It gets better
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Congratulations on getting over a week , Being clear on what i can change and control and knowing what i cannot was a useful tool to stop this drunk beating himself up over not being able to be superman ,

Bestwishes , M
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks so much for all the support going on almost 2 weeks now ive started going to the gym, trying to deal with things differently, whenever i feel like drinking i go outside and call a friend from back home. it really helps if that ive built a support system around myself... its getting harder and harder, the temptation is there, but i know i can i do this.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

had a few beers the other day. felt terrible about it. i went home and just slept it off. its so hard to stay focus on my goal, when i have all these other little factors to worry about. the probelm is i like to drink. and i know that. i stopped binge drinking, i stopped drinking to the point where id wake up next someone i wasnt planing on waking up next to, but i still drink . not as much just a beer here and there. i just cant find myself to completely go "cold turkey" . my 20th birthday is a few days from now, i made it to 20, and thats an accomplishment to me . life is possible. living is possible. i know i have a chance and im really trying.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me my drinking only got worse over time .
Life is possible and in my experience it's good without drinking especially when you work on those things that make you want to drink .

Hope you have a pleasant 20th

bestwishes, M
Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=madremiabella;3547077]had a few beers the other day. felt terrible about it. i went home and just slept it off. its so hard to stay focus on my goal, when i have all these other little factors to worry about. the probelm is i like to drink. and i know that. i stopped binge drinking, i stopped drinking to the point where id wake up next someone i wasnt planing on waking up next to, but i still drink . not as much just a beer here and there. i just cant find myself to completely go "cold turkey" . my 20th birthday is a few days from now, i made it to 20, and thats an accomplishment to me . life is possible. living is possible. i know i have a chance and im really trying.[/QUOTE

Nice to see a young person make such a great decision-wish I was 20 again, I'd do things sooo much differently!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

life is possible. living is possible. i know i have a chance and im really trying.
It really is

The only way I managed to take those chances I had though, to be a driver in my life and not a passenger, was to cut out drinking completely.

Any amount of alcohol could 'set me off' again and I never knew which glass it might be.

I know you're young and the idea of not doing something everyone else is doing is abhorrent - but if you're a drinker like me, you might be saving yourself a couple of decades of ever increasing misery.

D